strap to wire connection

Old 09-09-10, 12:43 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
strap to wire connection

I've just installed a communications tower at the house. My next step is to bond it to the electrical service grounding electrode. There is a ground rod connected to the meter pan with #4 solid copper, all outdoors. My plan is to run 1.5" x .032 copper strip from one of the tower legs to the #4, in a shallow bury. Its about a 60' run. The tower already has a couple of 8' rods, and I will use a bronze clamp to secure the copper strip to the steel tower leg. The connection to the #4 is not quite as easy. I picked up a copper compatible brazing rod and will attempt to braze the strip to the wire. It will be underground a few inches when completed. I've done tons of soldering, and never brazed a joint in my life. Before I melt stuff down , is there a better way; maybe a connector out there that will attach a strap to a wire?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-10, 12:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Why the strip instead of a #4 with a brass pipe clamp and split bolts?

Old 09-09-10, 01:01 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Why the strip instead of a #4 with a brass pipe clamp and split bolts?
Round wire would make this easier; But, the pros use from 2" to 4" wide strip to lessen inductance and skin effect. The idea is be able to conduct a lightning strike current with as small a voltage drop as possible. Lightning, with its frequency components to 1MHz doesn't make this easy or cheap!
Plus, the wide, bare copper offers some path to ground on its own, more than round wire.