Garage Door Opener

Old 09-12-10, 11:50 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Opener

Hello,

I have a very old (I am not sure how old, my guess is more than 20 years) Sears garage door opener. I didn't get any remote control from the previous owner. So, I bought a Chamberlain radio control kit it was working fine so far for more than two years.

Recently, the remote seems not to be working. Besides, if I press the switch on the receiver - the grage door opens but close the door right away and makes a humming sounds line "hmmmmmm". If I unpug the reciver and plug it again - it does the same thing - opens and and close the door without stopping after openning.

I also bought a DigiCode receiver and remote but it is not working - it makes the 'tik' sound when I press the remote but does not turn on the motor.

The question is - is there any easy repair for this or It is time to replace the opener all together.

Thanks. I appreciate any suggestion.

Sharif

Old 09-12-10, 03:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Does your direct wired button operate the door properly? Or does it act the same way? It is highly possible you had a lightning strike or spike that fried the control board. Check the limit switch nearest the door to see if it has become dislodged.

Old 09-12-10, 05:29 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SharifUddin View Post
...So, I bought a Chamberlain radio control kit it was working fine so far for more than two years.

Recently, the remote seems not to be working. Besides, if I press the switch on the receiver - the grage door opens but close the door right away and makes a humming sounds line "hmmmmmm".
Typically what I've seen is that if the safety eye is not working properly, the door will only open or close as long as you hold your finger on the wired button in the garage. The remotes will not work. But if this is the case it would "fail safe", in other words, with the door open.

I don't know how the add-on radio control is wired, but is it possible that the Chamberlain control thinks the door is open when it is closed, so when you press the button to open, it thinks it is closing the door? And therefore when it thinks it is failing "safe", it is actually failing "secure"?

Hmmmmmmm is right.

Old 09-13-10, 09:03 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Don't overlook a mechanical failure either -- something jammed in the track, chain or screw, stripped gear, broken coil spring, etc. The door is very heavy and if the spring(s) are broken or slipped the opener will stall trying to lift it and reverse direction.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: