Splice sub panel feeders in PVC LB fitting

Old 09-21-10, 07:22 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Splice sub panel feeders in PVC LB fitting

I am running #2 AL feeders to a small detached apartment. It comes from the main panel in the main house as SER cable. Where it exits the house it goes underground via 2" pvc with appropriate wire. Can I make the splice to change wire types in the first conduit body...a 2" LB? Itd be with AL split bolt connectors. I know you can make splices in LB's, as long as they state their Cu In volume. The nec code book dosn't specify how much cu in volume #2 conductors take up however. At least to the best of my knowledge. It only goes up to #6. Any discussions would be appreciated

Old 09-21-10, 10:40 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by strider380
I am running #2 AL feeders to a small detached apartment. It comes from the main panel in the main house as SER cable. Where it exits the house it goes underground via 2" pvc with appropriate wire. Can I make the splice to change wire types in the first conduit body...a 2" LB? Itd be with AL split bolt connectors. I know you can make splices in LB's, as long as they state their Cu In volume. The nec code book dosn't specify how much cu in volume #2 conductors take up however. At least to the best of my knowledge. It only goes up to #6. Any discussions would be appreciated

The word apartment that useally a crossover line due it will need a licesned electrician to deal with it due there are a bit of codes to cover.

Unless you are a owner and living in that property some states may have some leeway on that.

The LB fitting is too small to fit the splitbolt in there you will need large JB to translated it you will need minum of 8X8 junction box { I always go min of 4X of conduit size }

Merci,
Marc

Old 09-21-10, 11:14 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I agree with Marc. I would replace the LB with a 8x8 junction box and make the connections in that. Split bolts make a pretty bulky connection by the time you get them taped up properly.

Old 09-21-10, 04:44 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I would also replace the 2" LB with a 8 x 8 NEMA 3R junction box to make the splices and then continue underground with the 2" PVC conduit. I would use Polaris pre-insulated connectors rather than the split bolts for a better and quicker connection.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: