Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wiring exhaust fan, vanity light, GFCI, light switch and receptacle.

Wiring exhaust fan, vanity light, GFCI, light switch and receptacle.

Old 12-12-00, 04:49 PM
Visiting Guest
I have just installed a 15 amp circuit breaker.

I want to hook up
1) the main wire to the GFCI (I know how to do this)
2) timer switch (controls the exhaust fan)
3) GFCI
4) vanity lights
5) switch (to turn on the vanity lights)
6) a receptacle

Please tell me how to wire all these together using 12/2 wire.

I am able to follow the connections if you draw me a connections. I have done other DIY electrical repairs before I feel sure I can do this with some coaching.

Thanks

Sharda
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-00, 05:44 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Sorry we don't have drawing capabilities in this forum as far as I know. Most likely would eat up too much memory for DIY to handle.

Wg

Old 12-14-00, 09:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Let me see if I can do this verbally:

Black, white & ground from breaker panel (supply) to GFCI wall box first (Probably using Romex). Black & white onto GFCI supply side. (Black on brass screw, white on silver.) Pigtail an 8" piece of bare ground onto supply cable's ground wire and the new cable which will go to the switch box. (3 ground wires in one wire nut). If you use a metal box, make it 2 8" pieces, total 4 wires in wirenut. 2nd 8" goes to ground the box. For plastic boxes not necessary.) On new cable connect black & white to load side of GFCI recep. Run cable to switch box. Run 1 cable each from switch box to fan & light. Connect all grounds together & all whites together in switchbox, adding 2 8" bare grounds to the ground junction (total 5 grounds in one wire nut or crimp sleeve). One 8" ground to yoke on each switch. Pigtail 2 8" blacks onto the black wire from the GFCI (this is the supply wire at this point). One 8" to each switch. Connect black that goes to fan on 2nd terminal of(timer) switch , black going to light on 2nd terminal of light switch.

Connect black and white at each fixture (light & fan) to appropriate wires of that fixture. Connect ground wire to appropriate place on each fixture. I believe you're done.

Hope that helps. I can picture the procedure as I'm writing this and I'm imagining it may be harder for you to picture. If you don't have a home wiring book I say it's worth the $12, and does not indicate in any way that you're a wimp. If you have more questions or run into snags let us know. Good luck & have a nice holiday.

Juice

Old 12-14-00, 08:41 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Juicehead

I sent her a schematic as an attachment from paint brush. I suspect with your verbal and my picture emailed to her, she should have a pretty good shot at figuring it out.

Good work Juice

Wg

Old 12-15-00, 09:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks WG. Good luck, Sharda.

And a happy holiday, one & all.

Juice