Inlet box to backup generator connection

Old 09-29-10, 07:37 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Inlet box to backup generator connection

Hi, Im trying to put together a manual transfer switch system for my home backup generator. My generator (champion 41153) is rated for 30A, however, I am planning a 50A down the road, so Im over engineering my hardwired setup.

The generator has an L14-30p (twist lock) connector. The 50A transfer switch kit I'm planning to buy says it comes with a 10 foot, L14-50, 50A cord and matching inlet box. It is a Reliance Controls Q510C-Kit ( Reliance Transfer Switch Kit Q510C-kit ).

I can see that these two connection types have a different design ( NEMA Plug & Receptacle Configurations Reference Chart (Locking) ). Does anyone know if there is an adapter or connector to join these two?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 09-29-10, 07:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Chris, welcome to the forums! That's the beauty of the design. It protects you from yourself! To my knowledge there is no "adapter" for this purpose since the two amperages must be separate in their respective application. If you are planning on an imminent upgrade, and the new generator has a L14-50 cord and box, why not go ahead and install the 50 amp equipment, which is overkill for your present situation, but you can use it when you upgrade with no problem. All you would have to do is purchase a 50 amp twistlock plug to complete your application, since your transfer kit will be set up for 50 amps to begin with.

Old 09-30-10, 09:28 PM
A
No adapter made that I am aware of. Easiest way to hook it up would be to cut of the 50A plug and install a 30A twislock plug on the cable.

Old 10-04-10, 06:19 PM
C
I's leave the 50A plug on the cord, and make a short 30A to 50A plug adapter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: