Garage Door Electrical - Re-ran outlet, no longer lives

Old 10-02-10, 08:37 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Electrical - Re-ran outlet, no longer lives

I have a tuck under garage, used to have an extension cord running from a light with a recepticle built in to power the opener unit. This was always annoying, so I ran a switch loop, new junction box, and a full recepticle @ the opener. I did it all with 14/2 romex.

Light works great. Hell the outlet works great. However when I plug the opener into the outlet....nothing. If I run an extension cord from the house to the unit, turns on fine.

So I am wondering the things i should check. Is 14/2 to small for an opener? I assumed it would power it just fine...

Old 10-02-10, 08:42 AM
P
UPDATE

Ok so if I use a three prong cord, I tried my tile saw, that doesnt work...Which leads me to believe something is up with my ground. My romex ground is running to my outlet (green screw) and my other end, back at the light source where I tapped into, is just pegged to the fixture ground. Is this incorrect? (well clearly it is, but whats the solution?)

Old 10-02-10, 08:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The bare ground wire will not effect anything. Tell us what color wire is connect to what in each box, and where it comes from. Just taking a wild guess here, but I think you may have loose neutral wire.

Old 10-02-10, 10:49 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
14-2 is adequate for a GDO assuming that the remainder of the circuit is not overloaded. My guess is that you miswired the circuit. How did you run the "switch loop"? Link
Spend a few bucks (

Old 10-02-10, 11:48 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm confused. First you wrote:
Light works great. Hell the outlet works great.
but then you wrote:
Ok so if I use a three prong cord, I tried my tile saw, that doesnt work..
So what were you using to test when you wrote "... the outlet works great"?

You didn't run one side of the receptacle in series with the switch loop did you?

Old 10-02-10, 02:57 PM
sounds like you may have wired them in series with each-other... I'm going to venture a guess the old light was a pull chain type?

if so you will take the power coming into the light...and wire the black going to the outlet and to the black going down to the switch

then at the switch connect the black to one terminal...recolor the white with a red magic marker or electrical tape... and connect the ground

back at the light take the white you remarked from the switch and connect that to the brass screw of the light...remark this white red as well...

next connect a white 6 inch piece of wire to the silver screw on the light and wire nut it to the white power in and the white to the garage door...

connect all grounds and connect a ground to the boxes if they are metal

all should work now

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: