Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Mounting the cover (or panel) to the main principal load center

Mounting the cover (or panel) to the main principal load center

Old 10-04-10, 10:29 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Mounting the cover (or panel) to the main principal load center

I just finished a huge project (for me anyways) and I'm doing the odds n ends now. One of my last tasks is to mount the cover for the "flush mount" load center on the inside of the room to cover the wiring inside the box.

Well, it comes with some screws that do not look like wood or sheetrock screws to mount it into the wall. They look a lot more like machine/metal thread screws to me.

So my question is, am I missing something here? I know I'm not supposed to screw these screws into the sheetrock alone. Am I missing some sort of anchor I'm supposed to mount in the sheetrock for the screws to thread into? If so, where do I get it? Home Depot has it?

Old 10-04-10, 10:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Votes on 96 Posts
There should be holes in the panel enclosure where the cover screws thread into. Hold the cover off to one side and line it up with the enclosure. You should be able to see the holes.

Old 10-04-10, 10:49 PM
F
You have to wiggle {move} the cover a little and get one hole start line up and screw partway in and deal the next one started and do the thrid and forth one but do not drive it all the way in yet until you verifed the cover seat in properly and the breakers is not binding the cover up at all.

Once it good to go then drive it home you will be fine with that part.

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-04-10, 10:55 PM
S
Sounds like from what you guys are telling me that I might have the wrong cover. The cover I have overlaps (is wider and taller than) the load center box itself. The circuit breaker & main slots would fit from what I see, but the screw holes are exterior of the load center and beyond the casing. So, I have some screws that came with it, but using the current cover's holes I'd be screwing into the drywall.

Is this not how its supposed to be? Do I need to get the right cover? This cover came packaged in the box with it though. I'm just wondering if there are some special wall anchors I didn't know I was supposed to buy.... but from what you guys say, seems like it should screw into the load center... which is what I had thought at first too until I held the cover up to the load center.

Old 10-04-10, 11:02 PM
F
Do us a grand favour ?

Please take a photo of it SVP.

I think you may end up got wrong cover but some load centre cover like surface/flush combo they are designed to be larger than the load centre itself unless you have surface cover which it will line up right on the edge of load centre.

And can ya run the cover model number { there will be a label in there } plus the load centre model { the label will be in the tub itself useally on the left side but some case other place.

So that way one of us can verify the number to match up.

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-04-10, 11:24 PM
S
You guys are always a great help. I have been having vertigo lately due to some medicine I've been taking due to a upper respiratory infection.

Anyway, I just went back in there and took a much closer look. Its an optical illusion to me. I realized the cover would span beyond the box itself on purpose to cover up the wall edge etc.. but it still didn't look like the screw holes would line up or that the screws provided would fit in the holes on the load center, but sure enough they do. lol - I feel stupid. Sorry for bothering you guys.

I had some problems getting the screws to thread, but after I decided I wasn't being man enough I put a drill and some force behind it and they thread in just fine. It seems like these screws might make their own threading in the holes provided. LOL - I just wish I would've "seen this" before writing a thread post.

Well, looks like the other long thread I wrote on here comes to a close with the placement of this cover. You guys have been wonderful. Thanks so much. It all came out great. I'm gonna eventually post some photos of the finished stuff on the other thread. CHEERS!

Old 10-05-10, 01:35 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Yep, they are called "self-tapping" machine screws and they do cut the thread the first time they are driven in place.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: