recessed lighting

Old 12-13-00, 07:25 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm installing recessed lighting in a basement. I wish to put all 6 can lights on one dimmer. They are 75w lights each. Should all of the cans be wired in series with a dimmer or in parallel with the dimmer in series on one side of the ladder?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-00, 07:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrically, lights are ALWAYS wired in parallel. Not sure why you bring up wiring lights in series, which is NEVER done. I also don't know what you mean by "ladder". The switch itself is always wired in series on the hot side, with all the lights in parallel after the switch. There are no options here -- there's only right and wrong. You need 120 volts to every light (hence the parallel wiring).

If you're merely talking about how to run the cable through the ceiling, then you can do anything you want.

Make sure the dimmer you buy can handle the total wattage.

Old 12-13-00, 08:50 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
John I think he has drawn a print using "ladder logic" as a wiring print of a simplified wiring job.

Ladder prints are usually used for automated control systems such as motor control or programmable controlling systems.

I guess you could draw a ladder schematic design for the project he describes.

For those wanting to know you draw a hot on the left and a grounded leg on the right and the loads in the middle. When the print is done then it resembles the look of a ladder.

info flash for those who wants to know

Wg