Ideas on Cutting Drywall - to replace quad outlet box

Old 10-06-10, 07:12 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ideas on Cutting Drywall - to replace quad outlet box

So the house I bought came wired. Some areas are atrocious with 4 gang box. Double Outlets, then double Coax, and then data/voice port.

I plan to just gut the wall and make the box 2 gang (single outlet , the rest on the latter).. The footprint is just too huge if not eyesore.

Just thinking about the best way on cutting the sheetrock to make life easier on patching - assuming the boxes are nailed on the studs.

I plan to cut about 3" more from around the box on then try to cut flush around the last 2 gangs that I believe are flush to the stud. Then when it comes time to reattach, it's minimizing the patching that would be involved around the box...and just patching on the area that I cut..Hopefully this makes sense.

Old 10-06-10, 07:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,166 Votes on 1,124 Posts
This doesn't sound worth the effort

If you still want to do this, cut the drywall so you have support behind the pieces to screw them back in afterward

Old 10-06-10, 07:32 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not looking forward to it...
And yes, I don't want to cut to large on the area where the outlet will just be 2 gang as putting support if not a *small piece* of sheetrock in the area will not be fun....if not the durabond, sanding, etc that comes with the territory.

I've live with the 4 gang setup for awhile but since I'm planning to repaint, it's a good time to cut the wall, and get it done.

Old 10-06-10, 01:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
There are several ways to patch the drywall. You can insert a piece of wood and screw half of it to the drywall still fastened to the wall and then leave the other half exposed in the hole and fasten the drywall patch to it. Another method is to cut a piece of drywall larger than the hole, then back cut it and remove everything that's larger than the hole except for the drywall paper face. You would then mud the patch in place using the drywall paper as tape.

Old 10-06-10, 01:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
If I understand what you want to do you would be leaving the 4 gang in place and just cutting the 1/2" lip off the box that extends out from the stud and then patching. I would advise you just to repelace the 4 gang with a 2 gang box and then patch just the drywall. There are boxes that can be secured to the stud with screws to provide a secure mounting. Google smart box for one type.

Be sure to use a divider between the 120 and low voltage sides of the box.

Arlington has a nice recessed box for behind TV mounting. aifittings.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: