Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How do I wire a wall switch (which is the power source) to wall plug?

Old 10-07-10, 04:49 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

The basic instalation is not a problem but what I like to do is be able to control with the wall switch (the power source is there) the lower portion of the wall plug so I can turn on and off the lamp connected to it but also I want to have power on the top part of the plug all the time, I know I have to run a 3 wire cable (black, white and green) from the switch to the plug, I am confused about how to connect the power source to the switch (white with white, black with black then to the lower part of the wall switch and then red going to the wall plug from the top part of the switch?) also when I connect to the wall plug which will be the sequence? Black in one side (top) white on the other and red in the lower part of the plug? I tried this sequence but is not working for me, any sugestions? Thanks

Old 10-07-10, 06:00 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If the power is at the wall switch you run a 3-conductor cable not a 2-conductor cable. Black carries un-switched power to the top plug-in and red caries switched power to the bottom plug-in. The tab on the brass side of the receptacle is broken loose.

I know I have to run a 3 wire cable (black, white and green) from the switch to the plug
What you are calling three wire cable is 2 wire cable with ground. You need three wire with ground, black, white, red, bare.

Old 10-07-10, 06:24 PM
L
Yes you are right, the cable going from the wall switch to the wall plug is a 3-conductor cable (black, red, white, bare)."The tab on the brass side of the receptacle is broken loose" you are refering to the right side of the receptacle where the 2 screws are? Do I remove the screws then the tab? This is done so there is no contact between the top and the bottom of the plug? Thanks

Old 10-07-10, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You do not need to remove the screws to break out the brass tab. Needle nose pliers can break it out by bending it back and forth.

If the tab is left in place the constant hot side will also power the switch controlled side by crossing over the bridge.

Old 10-07-10, 07:34 PM
L
OK, I thank you very much for your help, I couldn't figure out why the switch stopped working, I recently changed plugs and I failed to remove the tab, I did nos installed them originally.

Old 10-07-10, 07:44 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: