converting electromagnet from ac to dc

Old 10-07-10, 10:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
converting electromagnet from ac to dc

long story short, im trying to make a fishtank airpump run off of a lawn mower battery or some battery in that size/weight range. (i need to be able to carry pump and battery in a SMALL cooler bag to somewhat "waterproof/weatherproo" it)

i took it apart and it is using and electromagnet to shift two flaps back and forth the make to plunger type things pump air into the to valves. now....i dont know crap about this type of stuff...so

HOW DO I CONVERT IT FROM PLUGGING INTO THE WALL, TO HOOKING IT STRAIGHT TO A BATTERY...? see..i sounds dumb huh?

this will probably be cake for you guys, so try not to beat me up too bad over it. thanks, it's appreciated!

and just for the record, on the back of the pump i see this :

aquarium air pump MK-1504
"ZP" AC 120v 60 HZ 3.5W

if that helps....haha. thanks!

Old 10-07-10, 10:53 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Buy a cheap inverter at Sam's Club, WallyWorld, Costco or your local auto parts store. The smallest and cheapest will do the job, probably can get one for $30 or less.

Old 10-07-10, 11:01 PM
J
hmm...yea, im trying to knock that part out. straight to the battery is what im aiming for. is there such a thing as a 6v (lantern style battery) DC electromagnet? am i making sense at all? thanks!

Old 10-08-10, 12:25 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
That air pump is using the alternating current (AC) to change magnetic poles 60 times a second and it is that alternation that operates the pump. If you were to connect direct current (DC) as comes from a battery the magnetic poles would not change at all but give one single pulse and then stop. You have two choices, either get a pump that works on the available DC voltage from your battery (you might try a Google search for on-line surplus stores) or use an inverter, either commercially made or one made from from individual electronic parts, to power the pump you have.

Old 10-08-10, 07:31 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The electromagnet is a coil. Current draw is limited by the coil inductance. Not only would the electromagnet not cycle but it might smoke with a DC source. Buy a DC pump or an inverter. You can buy a 120 VAC, 75W inverter that plugs into a 12 VDC car receptacle for less than $20.

Old 10-08-10, 07:41 AM
J
ok, i understand. thanks for the help, off to wally world!

Old 10-08-10, 12:58 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Since you're going to walmart, check out the fishing section. They have aerator pumps for keeping bait alive, and they run on straight 12v from the boat. That'll be a lot less bulky (and last a lot longer) than an inverter setup. It'll be a little more expensive though.

Old 10-09-10, 06:58 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 285 Posts
Maybe something like this might help... (battery powered air pump)

Aquarium Air Pumps: Azoo Battery Air Pump

The price is right too

Old 10-11-10, 11:40 AM
J
thanks guys, but those little bubble box type products dont last. im trying to keep upwards of 250 baits alive in my barrel in the back of the truck. i would need probably 6 or 8 of those bubble boxes. back to the drawing board!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: