Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

need help on the way to run wire from the attic to basement for heated floors

Old 10-08-10, 09:29 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I've recently tiled our 2 upstairs bathrooms and added floor heating elements to both have the ac line going to the attic from the controllers BUT now I'm not sure how or the best way to get a new circuit to the basement where the box in located. It's 2 story with a basement but there is no vent shaft like in some homes because I have separate heating and air for both floors. I've looked for PVC pipes to run next to but there's no space. The house is about 7 years old.....any ideas?

Old 10-08-10, 10:28 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
If you are very lucky you have a closet on the the second floor that is directly over a closet or utility room on the first floor. If not that lucky simplest is to run conduit on the outside of the house.

Question: Is the breaker box in the basement? If so why not add a controller from there?

It is possible to run through the wall using only a few small holes. A right angle drill will help with that.

Old 10-08-10, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
I have had very good luck feeding a chain (we use #12 jack chain) from the attic down along side the main stack plumbing pipes (4" pipe). Most cases the plumbers make a pretty good sized hole for there pipe. If the chain gets hung up just wiggle or bounce it and it will keep going. You can tell if is is going down because it will keep getting heavier.

Old 10-08-10, 01:05 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Given the young age of this house, I'd say that's probably not an option. New houses have fireblocking requirements for between-floor penetrations. There would be either a metal clamp around the pipe fastened to the toe plate on either side, or fireproof packing material (like orange Great Stuff) filling the gap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: