220v outlet shorted, melted heater cord

Old 10-08-10, 06:41 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 220v outlet shorted, melted heater cord

I live in an older home, 1940's I think, it is wired through fuses, we have a 220v outlet for an eletric heater. The outlet shorted out, and ruined the power cord on the heater. I need to replace the outlet and the cord, both of which I can do myself if I can only find them, and no one in the area does, and I don't know what they are called. The outlet and cord remind me of a 3-wire range outlet and cord (2 slanted prongs at top, and 1 straight on bottom) just a lot smaller, just a hair bigger than regular outlet. If I knew what this is called, I could probably find replacements for both online, but sifting through thousands of websites with no pictures is killing me. Of course, if I don't replace it soon, the cold will get me first. lol. The outlet was put in about 5 years ago, to accomodate the newer heater unit, furtunately the heater has built in fuses which I hope protected it from the short, but the cord is toast, but easily replaced. Help me out if you know what to call a mini 3-prong range cord, outlet

Old 10-08-10, 07:01 PM
R
It's a 20amp 240 volt 3 wire cord, let me see if I can find the NEMA number.

I usually hard wire these units and install a shut off switch where the outlet is

What is KW of heater ?

Old 10-08-10, 07:05 PM
R
here is link to a NEMA chart

VOLTEC INDUSTRIES - Nema Chart

I usually ened up hard wiring them instead because they are always burning up

Old 10-08-10, 07:21 PM
H
not sure the kw, the house belonged to future mother-in-law, the heater came with, I know when they bought it and how old it is (about 5 years) but can't read specs or even model number, (young challenged B-I-L colored plate with sharpee about a week after they got it.) My brother, the electrician, put the outlet in 5 years ago, but he is out of state and out of contact due to new job. So I'm on my own with this one. But thanks for the help.

Old 10-08-10, 07:26 PM
R
The reason I was asking is because when I see these burnt up it is usually caused by the outlet being undersized for the heater.

Happens here on the older homes where they put these same 20 amp outlets on 25 amp water heaters

Yours outlet is probably a 10 - 20 R , If you look real close at outlet or cord you should see these numbers on them somewhere near prongs

Old 10-09-10, 05:41 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by heavy_dman View Post
young challenged B-I-L colored plate with sharpee about a week after they got it
You can remove Sharpie ink with rubbing alcohol.

Old 10-09-10, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
You don't describe the heater but it could be in the size range of a portable construction heater.
If it is one of those larger cube shaped heaters often colored orange or yellow they are in most places not approved as a permanent heat source.
They are meant for what the name suggests........temporary use.

You need to be careful if this is what you have because if there was fire damage to your home there is a good chance your insurance would be invalid, along with putting you and your family at risk.

A picture posted on a free site like PhotoBucket with a link would be able to tell what you have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: