No lights no outlets working in master of mobile home

Old 10-10-10, 07:36 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No lights no outlets working in master of mobile home

In the master bath which also has no lights or exhaust fan working, there's is a gfci
that was tripped. I reset that and no luck on the rest of the outlets or lights, It has power but the rest is still out I tried to use a regular duplex outlet and it was 120 volts at the two blacks and two whites still no luck this happened out of the blue the breaker is working I put a new one in and if its off so is the gfci?Thanks for any help.William

Old 10-11-10, 03:33 PM
R
still looking

I took all the face plates off the recepticles and all the ligh fixtures off including the cieling fan plus the exhaust fan in the bath I replaced the gfci that worked even when tripped with a new one and now its proper but still no luck on any other thing working in that bedroom or bathroom this is the backroom master of a 1998 fleetwood single wide mobile and the only live thing is that gfci as of now

Old 10-11-10, 04:23 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the GFCI is live, you have to continue your search and destroy mission of everything downstream. It be nice to know what comes next downstream, but you probably do not know. You will just have to see where it went dead. Could you even have an outside light or outlet that got tied into the gfci?

Old 10-11-10, 04:55 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
If any of the wires to the receptacles are back stabbed they need to be move to the screws. Also ceiling boxes may have been used as junction boxes to the receptacles.

Old 10-11-10, 05:59 PM
C
The GFCI is going to be a separate circuit than your bathroom lighting and bedroom outlets and lighting. GFI will be on a 20 amp breaker. It sounds like you are not having any issue with that circuit now. If it is just the bedroom and the lights in the bathroom, that circuit is going to be ran off a 15 amp circuit from your box.

First thing I would do is check your 15 amp breakers in your box. Hate to say this simple stuff to. But make sure to shut them completely off and then back on. Would do it with all the 15 amp breakers. It is very easy to not notice a tripped breaker. A lot of times they barely move down when tripped.

Old 10-11-10, 06:57 PM
R
Will take care of all suggestions

ecman51 I forgot about the outside,it may be on the same circuit,ray2047They are all stabbed I think I will replace them all with new outlets and switches and screw them on cutnell I have tried resetting all breakers and they all work,
something or another.since the gfci was also going to load wires what else could it be running? also the breaker was a 15 amp duplex that the gfci is on but it only has one black to it so
I figured it was just like that,as I saw no loose black in the panel.I will be going back to this home in two days I will report and changes more suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you so much for the help

Old 10-11-10, 07:27 PM
F
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There is one more spot you have to check is the recetptale below the Mobile home near the water pipe due they will put a receptale next to it due they can install the heat tape so that is the other spot you have to check it out.

I know I ran into couple Fleetwood mobile homes before and the bathroom RCD { GFCI } will start at the master bathroom and go down to the bottom receptale then outside recetpale { one of the two way depending on layout } then go to other bathroom recetptale.

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-16-10, 03:31 AM
R
Stiil puzzled

I took all the old push in type receptacles out and I have replaced all but one
with screw type, I have also taken all of the wall switches out to add new ones.
I have 1 outlet left to rewire and a question on that one and the next to last
before it. these two have 3 white and three black they both had one Romex
cable wired white to bottom and black to top and the rest wired like they should be would this be a problem?
french277Vwas right on the gfci it receives current from the outside receptacle by the water pipe. I saw a video on YouTube
that showed me how to cross wires on a piece of romex and trace it to the next outlet, using ohms and when I see 0 then it means the short I created comes to that box. I still can't find where the load gfci wires lead to, I ran out of time, the proximity of this place makes it difficult.
Thank you

Old 10-16-10, 10:06 AM
I have 1 outlet left to rewire and a question on that one and the next to last
before it. these two have 3 white and three black they both had one Romex
cable wired white to bottom and black to top and the rest wired like they should be would this be a problem?
Receptacles do not have a top or bottom. Just so we are clear can you restate that using brass side (narrow slot) and silver side (wide slot). Can you expand on "and the rest wired like they should be" so we better understand.

Old 10-16-10, 11:00 AM
R
The black hotwires on these two receptacles, three romex strands total per box
were all wired to the brass side, the neutral whites were wired to the silver side
the grounds stripped copper wire wwas all lugged toghether I was just wondering if the neutral could be wired anywhere on the silver side or must it be wired on the silver screw horizontal to the brass on the opposite side.Thank you

Old 10-16-10, 11:12 AM
were all wired to the brass side, the neutral whites were wired to the silver side
That is OK.
I was just wondering if the neutral could be wired anywhere on the silver side or must it be wired on the silver screw horizontal to the brass on the opposite side.Thank you
Assuming it is not a GFCI and the tab between the screws has not been broken it can go under either silver screw.

Note there should be only one wire per screw. If you have three wires you connect them to a pigtail and the pigtail to the screw.

Old 10-16-10, 04:36 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Was it ever even determined if the GFCI is on the same circuit as the lights and ceiling fan? For all we might not know, the shear discovery of a tripped GFCI might be a coincidence, simply caught in the search. I spend my whole life ruling out coincidences.

Old 10-16-10, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Was it ever even determined if the GFCI is on the same circuit as the lights and ceiling fan? For all we might not know, the shear discovery of a tripped GFCI might be a coincidence, simply caught in the search. I spend my whole life ruling out coincidences.
Good catch. Long posts can go off course with the basics unanswered.

Old 10-16-10, 06:39 PM
R
I just got back and the frenchman was correct on the gfci in the master connecting to the outside receptacle on to the second bath sink outlet. I am going to post pics and illutrations tomorrow with all my notes. the bedroom and bath are still dead as of now including the close..I guess this rules out thr gfci and puts this on another breaker
I will go into detail tomrrow with panel shots and notes Thank you guys for helping

Old 10-17-10, 06:39 AM
R
Here is the panel box picture and notes

The 70 amps are the A/c

The 15 amp under the 70 amp supplies the 3rd and end of trailer bedroom and the kitchen there are no dead outlets in these rooms.

The 25 amp double is the water heater, I assume. I know the water heats.

The 15 amp under the 25 amps supplies the middle bedroom and the second bath
no dead outlets in these two the Gfci was dead in bath #2 but It's source is traced back to the gfci in the Master bath.

The 15 amp double on the right with one wire only is the gfci master bath &outside & the # 2 bath

The 40 amps are the electric range

Then there are the three stuck toghether Breakers consisting of a 20 amp that runs the kitchen sink area and this all works Then there are the 2 30 amps that run the electric dryer the 20 amp below that runs the refridgerator and three wall outlets

then this 20 amp below them I don't know what it controls I did not check outside yet. but I replaced this breaker

The two 30 amps at the bottom are supllied by two thick grey wires I don't have a clue what they do.

The outage at the rear or master bedroom appears first as you enter the back door into the home, a cieling light is dead, take a right 2 or 3 feet and on the laundry room wall that makes up one of the master beds wall the outlet is dead then walk into the master everything is dead except the Gfci as discussed earlier. Thanks for any and all help

Old 10-17-10, 07:42 AM
R
Mobil layout

the black mark on the hallway by the master is the first dead outlet on the outside of the master wall The circle is the first dead fixture.Thanks for the help

Old 10-17-10, 07:44 PM
R
Problem is 95% finished

After replacing all receptacles and switches in the master bedroom and bath including a new GFCI, well the problem was in a switch that like the other ones had the wires pushed in from the rear. One hot was loose on it, after power came on, I immediately wanted to find the circuit breaker it was on, happens to be the missing black from the double 15 amp/breaker it was up on one of the 70 amps so I suppose it wouldn't kick-off when he used tons of lights outside. I've only owned this place for a month, anyway I appreciate everything ya'll did, including getting me to think more directions than one breaker. Thanks to all.

Old 10-17-10, 09:14 PM
Good you are making progress. You I assume have alreay moved the black off the 70a breaker.

Old 10-17-10, 11:52 PM
F
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I am glad you are making progess to fix the mess here and with 70 amp breaker IMO that is way too big a breaker for A/C unit it should be 30 amp which it is more common and veirfy the nameplate on A/C unit it should stated " max breaker or fuse size amps ".

The two grey wire possbity for detached garage or well { water pump if you are out in country area } ( if that on well that is too big a breaker )

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-18-10, 03:47 AM
R
Thanks Again

Yes sir I put the 12 gauge wire on the 15 amp where it belonged.
To french277V
Thanks for all the help and the gfci is working now on the three areas you said it should and the master is working off the stray wire that was on the 70 amp breaker that I will now replace with 30 amp, also just to let you know, there was a well there that worked at one time, now the pump and tank are missing so The grey wires are probably just that as there is no garage just a carport. I will find out and try to get the well back.Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: