Cordless 12Volt Drill to Corded Drill?? (Long Post Sorry)

Old 10-17-10, 01:17 PM
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Cordless 12Volt Drill to Corded Drill?? (Long Post Sorry)

I have a 9 year old Craftsman (Sears) Cordless 12Volt drill and after about 2 years both batteries crapped out. So I kept the drill in storage but now I want to use it again. I looked up online and it seems the batteries are not made anymore and if I can find one they cost a lot of $. Me being a computer tech I have alot of extra computer power supplies laying around. Which got me thinking I know computers run off of 12Volts DC (For the fans and the drive motors) I already tried it with a old Compaq PSU (12 @ 8A) So I jumped the green wire to a black wire and it worked for about 15 Seconds before the supply Blew up (Cap exploded)
before that I tried a 3A brick and that only worked on low speed for about 5 Seconds (Luckily this was a good PSU and the over current kicked it and it shut down)
So my main question how much current can the drill draw? I have several supplies available to me
I also have a monster Power Supply (13.8VDC & 25A) for my shop to test car stereos and CB radio and other car Toys
I measured the voltage unloaded on the output and it is just .1Volt over so 13.9VDC So I have another question is will almost 14VDC ruin the 12Volt drill?

Thanks and sorry for the long post

Old 10-17-10, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Ummm I have to say...whats the point in having a cordless drill thats tied to a P/S and wall socket? You can find a cheap cordless many places for about $25 (if that)...or just buy a cheap corded drill that will last years tucked away in a drawer and still work when you pull it out.

And yes..the 14V supply will hurt the drill...not right away...but eventually.

Old 10-17-10, 01:39 PM
I don't mind the cord. I have an old corded drill from Black & Decker (1970's Model) but the cord is in bad shape it still works great but I also need a drill that will go in reverse (Which the B&D drill does not)

Old 10-17-10, 01:39 PM
Received 164 Votes on 147 Posts
Replacement batteries for any cordless tool are expensive. How much do you consider to be too much? The best thing to do would be to find the proper batteries and bite the bullet. Another option is Batteries Plus stores who often will rebuild your old battery packs cheaper than a new battery, if you have a Batteries Plus store in your area. A third option is to find out who made your cordless tool (probably B&D) and try to source your battery from the tool manufacturer. The Craftsman batteries may or may not be OEM only, but research should tell you that.

Old 10-17-10, 01:46 PM
I actually took one of the batteries apart and there are 10 1.2V 600MAH NI-CD Sub-C batteries
I feel I could rebuild the pack my self (Just need the batteries themselves)
I learned on another forum that is is the charger that killed the batteries as it is just a dumb charger (15VDC with a LED that lights up when the battery is connected) So if I am going to spend the money on rebuild the pack I might as well rebuild the charger also

I have the money I just wanted to take the cheap route

Edit:

I looked online and the drill is an OEM by DeWalt

Old 10-18-10, 06:37 PM
Received 164 Votes on 147 Posts
I looked online and the drill is an OEM by DeWalt
Same as the old B&D. I have an older 12V B&D Professional cordless drill that was later sold as DeWalt. The last battery I had to replace was replaced with a 12V DeWalt battery, same thing. The only B&D branded tools you find any more are the lighter duty homeowner grade, the commercial duty tools are all branded DeWalt now.

Old 10-19-10, 05:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Is the monster power supply regulated? I agree with Vic, the power supply will eventually harm the motor windings, or will harm itself trying to power surges in the drill.
All my drills on my jobsite trailer and truck are battery powered, except the big boys (Hole Hawg, etc), but in my shop, purely plug in. No need to walk into the shop to dead batteries. Jobsite stuff gets charged daily.
I know cheap, but be practical. How much time will you spend trying to get this rig to work just to find it better and cheaper to have bought a corded drill?

Old 10-19-10, 06:58 AM
Yes the "Monster" Power Supply is a fully regulated and filtered supply (13.8VDC for car electronics)
I think I will just buy a cheap used corded drill as I can get one at about the same price as the battery pack and it will always be ready
Thanks all that helped

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: