Need help wiring double switch single pole *pic inside*

Old 10-18-10, 03:52 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help wiring double switch single pole *pic inside*

I have a Pass & Seymour 690-WGCC6 Two Toggle Switch Single Pole that I need help wiring.

The single gang box that this switch will be installed in has 3 12/2 wires in it. 1 is power, 1 is for a light, and 1 is for an outlet. I want to wire it so that one switch will control the light and the other will control the outlet (garbage disposal).

I do not know much about electrical and can't quite figure out exactly what the diagram is telling me to do.

Old 10-18-10, 04:17 PM
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
You need to follow the common feed diagram. Holding the switch just like the picture (ground screw at bottom left) the power (hot) needs to go on the left top. Then your 2 other wires go to the right side of the switch. Top screw for top switch and bottom screw to bottom switch. I am hoping you did not mention the other wire in the box for clarity. There should also be white wires and ground wires for each of the 3 black wires you describe, If not then we have a problem Houston.

Old 10-18-10, 04:52 PM
K
Originally Posted by badeyeben View Post
You need to follow the common feed diagram. Holding the switch just like the picture (ground screw at bottom left) the power (hot) needs to go on the left top. Then your 2 other wires go to the right side of the switch. Top screw for top switch and bottom screw to bottom switch. I am hoping you did not mention the other wire in the box for clarity. There should also be white wires and ground wires for each of the 3 black wires you describe, If not then we have a problem Houston.
No there are 3 wires in each. What do I do with the 3 white wires? Thanks!

Old 10-18-10, 04:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
Assuming this is fed by a single circuit the whites would just splice together.

The disposal may have required a dedicated circuit. Is this new wiring or are you dealing with existing wiring?

Old 10-18-10, 05:04 PM
K
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Assuming this is fed by a single circuit the whites would just splice together.

The disposal may have required a dedicated circuit. Is this new wiring or are you dealing with existing wiring?
existing wiring. Why would it require a dedicated circuit? Is that just code or might it not work correctly?

edit: Also, you are saying to just tie all three white wires together with a wire nut and do not connect them to the switch at all?

Last edited by kjac3585; 10-18-10 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-18-10, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
Originally Posted by kjac3585 View Post
existing wiring. Why would it require a dedicated circuit? Is that just code or might it not work correctly?
It could depending what else is on the circuit. However most disposals I have seen do not cause too many problems with breakers/fuses tripping.

Originally Posted by kjac3585 View Post
edit: Also, you are saying to just tie all three white wires together with a wire nut and do not connect them to the switch at all?
That is correct. I didn't say it but that doesn't make it any less correct

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: