I need special type of wire.

Old 12-15-00, 10:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am looking for a type of wire/filament that when connected to a typical 12 volt battery it glows.

Basically I want to run typical small gauge wire about 20 feet and at the end I want this wire/filament to reside. When I attach the wire to complete the circuit, just the wire/filament will glow.

I have no idea the type of wire/filament or the name to get or even where to look. Radio Shack and Lowes had no suggestions.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-00, 11:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
An auto bulb meets all your stated requirements, although you may have some other unstated requirements. There are many kinds, all meeting your requirement for a "filament" and all designed to run on 12 volts.

Old 12-15-00, 11:23 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
The wire you may be looking for is called nichrome wire.
Ask around in aplliance shops for some, or salvage some from
a defunct heating appliance.

Old 12-17-00, 11:48 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Gary Tait is right, however you may be hard pressed to find that wire.

Be aware that this conductor will become red hot is not controlled. You can connect short pieces of electrical wire to each end of the nichrome wire to make that area non glowing. You still need a way of controlling the current or amount of heat. I suggest playing with resisters to limit the current therefore the amount of heat produced.

Also an alternative to the nichrome wire can be piano wire. I used to use guitar or piano string to create flashes on stage for sound bands etc. You can still play with the resisters to control the affect and prolong the life expectancy.

Remember you are creating a controlled short circuit, and a fire hazard. Be careful what you are doing.

Hope this helps

Wg