Mixed bag of breakers

Old 10-22-10, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mixed bag of breakers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please see attached photos. This challenge requires someone's input who's been there, not someone (like me) who is somewhat over his head in this area.

In "breakers.jpg", you see a collection of 1 and 2 pole standard-size breakers mixed in with some half-height breakers. Fine so far...

I need more space to install a 20A 2 pole breaker for a heavy window AC/heater appliance. I would imagine that a half-height tandem would work, but don't know.
It's a GE board; the diagram is in one of the pictures, but I can't figure out if my problem can be solved.

This looks like I may have to completely reshuffle this collection and freely subsitute new half-height breakers for the standard ones. Does this sound reasonable?

Would those top 2 slots be a natural place to reposition two of the 1" breakers from elswhere on the box?

Old 10-22-10, 08:01 PM
R
The cheapest/easiest way move the 3rd breaker from the top on the right side of panel to the open space on top left.

Move the 2 pole 30 on the top right down one slot and then install a 2 pole 20 tandem in the open space

Scratch that, it soesn't look like the top 2 spots accept a tandem style breaker, just put 4 1/2" breakers on bottom left to free up the 2 full size on bottom right

Total cost for 4 1/2" breakers and 1 full size 20amp 2 pole would be about $40

Old 10-23-10, 12:31 AM
Rich,

Thanks for the input!

Around here, the 1/2" breakers are cheap, but I'll need to find out whether Lowe's has the full size 20A 2 pole. Not sure I understand why this box will (obviously) accept 30, 40 and 50A slim 2-pole breakers, but no one I've talked to says I can install a slim 20A 2-pole breaker. do they make them as far as you know?

Old 10-23-10, 01:46 AM
R
yeah as far as I know they make a slimline 2 pole 20a but it is like double the price. I layed it out for you to install a full size 20 amp 2 pole that cost about $10

You will need 4 1/2" single pole at about $5 ea. and 1 2 pole 20 full size at around $10

Old 10-23-10, 01:53 AM
F
Originally Posted by Jon Fisher View Post
Rich,

Thanks for the input!

Around here, the 1/2" breakers are cheap, but I'll need to find out whether Lowe's has the full size 20A 2 pole. Not sure I understand why this box will (obviously) accept 30, 40 and 50A slim 2-pole breakers, but no one I've talked to says I can install a slim 20A 2-pole breaker. do they make them as far as you know?
Yeah they still make 1 inch two pole breaker for your GE load centre and bottom three right breakers that three items are not GE items at all so ditch them and get a THQL220 { If my memory serve me correct. }

Before you use the THQL either single or two pole verison make sure that conductor you follow is not on MWBC if so that can get tricky we will explain if you have them.

And the breaker #8 on your tag what amparage is that one ??

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-23-10, 07:35 AM
Merci, Marc

"Before you use the THQL either single or two pole verison make sure that conductor you follow is not on MWBC if so that can get tricky we will explain if you have them."

What does the expression mean, "make sure that conductor you follow is not on MWBC". What is "MWBC"?

"And the breaker #8 on your tag what amparage is that one ??"

#8 (the one partly covered with tape) is a 40A 220 breaker that goes to a new sub panel. It will be connected after I get my electrical work inspected.

Thanks for your help, Marc!

Old 10-23-10, 08:29 AM
F
The MWBC mean multiwire branch circuit which it mean you will have two hot conductor with common netural so you can have either two 120 volt circuits or 120/240 volt loads and if you land the THQL in right spot you should not have any issue but if you land them in wrong spot you still get 120 volt but no 240 volt load at all.

What happend if it did which both 120 volt ciruits are ok but not the 240 volt netural due it will become addtive so let run a quick example say C1 will have 12 amp load while C2 will have 8 amp load and on netural it will be 20 amp which it will be too much for 2.5mm˛ { #14 awg } conductor

Now let go with proper set up again follow the same example as above but the 240 volt do work properly so the netural will read 4 amp due it will split the diffrence there.

{ just give you a head up I know GE and at least one other brand name it escape moi if you do not get 240 volt on 1 inch two pole verison you have to move up or down half postion to get it correct.}

Hope that clear up that question if need more question one of the members or myself will expand that topic.

And get correct single pole breaker on bottom three right corner { that part if the inspector may say something about that and new single pole breakers are useally about 6 Euros so it will be wise to spend it now and take care that issue while you have the load centre open the reason why I mention due that is not a direct replacement GE breakers they are aftermarket and they do not have listing to be approved to work in the GE load centre }

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-23-10, 11:50 AM
Received 99 Votes on 89 Posts
If you look closely at spaces 1 & 2, I think you'll see that these spaces will not accept thin breakers which are GE Type THQP. I think what I would do is to remove two full sized breakers that you have labelled as #19 and #20 and install a 20A 2P Type THQP (thin 2 pole) breaker and on each side of the thin 2 pole, install a 20A 1P thin Type THQP breaker to accept the circuits that are now on the breakers you have labelled as #19 and #20. And, as Marc stated, remove the breaker you have labelled as #21 and replace it with a full sized GE Type THQL 20A 1P breaker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: