multiple 220 outlets wiring help

Old 10-22-10, 08:48 PM
Cool multiple 220 outlets wiring help

Here's the details.

I am renting an office in a warehouse. I need to installed 2 - 220 20amp outlets for my computer servers. the length of the run is 76ft. there is 4 90 degree bends in the run. All the existing electric is run above the office ceilings and is in rigid or flexible metal conduit. I have run a few 110v circuits but never any 220v.

My questions:
do I run one 220v, 40amp circuit or 2 - 220v - 20 amp circuit.
what kind of conduit ( pvc, rigid metal, flex metal)?
what size conduit?
What size wire?
solid or stranded wire?
if i run 2-220v, 20 amp circuits do i run two whites and two grounds?

my current thinking on this is to run one 220v, 40 amp circuit. the run will terminate on top of the wall above where I need the outlets. i would split the circuit there and run the two legs to the outlet boxes in the office wall.
I would use 3/4" pvc conduit and pull 4 #08 wires, red, black,white and a ground. I would use 3/4" flexible plastic conduit to run the outlet legs down the wall to the outlet boxes.

any and all answers and comments appreciated.

TIA
Apex

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-10, 10:41 PM
Group Moderator
Generally you can't legally do wiring in a commercial building unless your licensed. You need to talk to your landlord first then you will have to probably hire the electrician. The electrician can advise you on the best course of action.

Old 10-23-10, 12:45 AM
In addition to what Ray wrote about commercial buildings (or any rental space) needing a licensed electrician your questions show that you are not in any way qualified to do this work.

Please discuss your needs with the landlord and then hire an electrician qualified to work in a commercial building. Since it is a commercial space it is quite possible that it is also a three-phase system and that makes it even more important to get someone that is licensed for commercial work.

I don't write this to be unkind or to get work for licensed people but because electricity is an equal-opportunity killer.

Old 10-23-10, 01:42 AM
I am Electrician by trade and the way you describing in your office in commeral location and by the codes and laws it have to be done by Electrician and this have to be run by landlord first before you do any change in the place.

All the Electrical work have to be done by Electrician

Any other non electrical work have to be done by proper qualifed tradeperson

And in Commercal locations in USA I know it will have few diffrent voltage levels to dealt with it and there is not much room for error at all.

again best safest move is get a electrician and they will do it in proper way.

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-25-10, 07:26 AM

thank you all for your input

Old 10-25-10, 12:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I should also mention that many commercial buildings do not have a 240V service. It may have any or all 120V, 208V, 240V, 277V, 480V; but you will need an electrician to evaluate it. Commercial space is a lot more complicated than residential, so no room for guessing.