12 volt light / 115 volt controller

Old 10-23-10, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
12 volt light / 115 volt controller

I have a 12 volt Color Logic (color changing) underwater pool light.

I have a 115 volt Fiberstars wireless controller which can work either wireless (remote) or manual.

My problem is hooking up this 12 volt light to operate with the 115 volt controller. The controller has no transformer to reduce the voltage to 12 voltl

Can I use a seperate 12 volt transformer to reduce the voltage?
lf so what would be the correct way to hook up the transformer, before he controller or after the controller?

I have a hand held remote that will operate the controller when the controller switch is set to remote. When not used remotely you change the color of the light by manually flipping the manual switch off and then back on.

Thanks

I posted this in the pools section but later thought it should be posted in electrical.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-10, 10:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TGMcCallie View Post
Can I use a seperate 12 volt transformer to reduce the voltage?
lf so what would be the correct way to hook up the transformer, before he controller or after the controller?
No, pool lighting has to be UL listed as a whole system so you can't mix and match pieces. It also must be installed per NEC 680 which is pretty involved, generally pretty hard to do after the pool is installed.

Which parts do you have existing (already installed in the pool) and which are new? Maybe there's another way to do it.

Old 10-25-10, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
12 Volt light

Both are new, the 12 volt light and the 110 volt controller. I had a 110 volt underwater light installed in pool for 27 years and now want to change it to a color light.

ihave contacted Hayward and they say to install the transformer after the controller. They also said they had not tested this controller with their light and could not verify if it would work or not. The installer has said he has installed this light with this controller before.

Tom