Adding Sub Panel to Garage

Old 10-23-10, 04:37 PM
Adding Sub Panel to Garage

I am adding a 100 amp sub panel to my new garage, I have a 200 amp main disconnect next to my meeter with two breakers in it. One is a 60 amp and the other is 20 amps. My question would be , can I tap in to the panel next to the meeter? I will be running #2 seu ( 2-2-4 ) aluminum sheathed cable wire from the main panel ( cost is cheaper ) to the sub panel which is approx. 100 feet between both panels. Will I need another for ground or can I purchase this particular wire with the ground in it already? And will I need a grounding rod for the sub panel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated![IMG][URL=http://img87.imageshack.us/i/out[/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-10, 09:16 PM
First thing please fix your link I have little issue try to get into there.

Now as soon you fix the link then I can able help you with this one.

As far for your subpanel you will need to run this in conduit and you will need full 4 wire conductor { Black , Red , White et green }

Of course you will need two ground rods for this set up and you will have to get the grounding bussbar due some of them do not have them.

You will need 16mm˛ { #6 AWG bare or green } for grounding rods

Keep the netrual and ground conductors seperated at the subpanel.

For the genral 120volt circuits you need them to be on RCD { GFCI } no extempts on this one

Sound like you have detached garage so if you have any exsting circuit there you have to ditch them once you get new subpanel going the code is very specfic on this one.

Are any 240 volt load like welder or air compressor or other items it will be good time to speak up now so we can help you to size it properly.

Again I will fill in more details after I do see the photo { after the link is fixed first }

The tap rules is very strict so there is not much leeway on this one I will tell ya after I see the photo.

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-24-10, 10:51 AM
I will be running #2 seu ( 2-2-4 ) aluminum sheathed cable wire from the main panel ( cost is cheaper ) to the sub panel which is approx. 100 feet between both panels.
You don't have enough conductors, you need 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground conductor (4 total). Any type of sheathed cable will be more expensive than individual XHHW aluminum conductors. Now, like Marc said, fix your link so we can see the picture.

Old 10-24-10, 05:26 PM
French, what is the tap rule that you are referring to?

Old 10-24-10, 10:01 PM
Taps have to do with running wires of a smaller size than would normally be allowed based upon the overcurrent protective device serving the larger wires. The rules are quite specific and rarely applicable in a residential setting. I suggest that you forget about applying taps.

Old 10-24-10, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by chopnhack View Post
French, what is the tap rule that you are referring to?
It very limited use in resdentail and there is few circita to meet this requirement and not very many people can understand it clear.

Furd did cover that part clear.

Merci.
Marc