Easy question, I think

Old 10-24-10, 12:07 AM
Lightbulb Easy question, I think

Hi there, I wonder if Im on the right track with this. Heres the issue. I have 2 trough heaters at 13 amps each. Can I run them off 2 15 amp recepts fed by 1 10 gauge circuit? In other words, can I run a 10/2 cable to power 2 separate 15 amp receptacles, then plug one heater into one recept, the other into the other recept? Is there an easier/smarter way to get the power to them using only one breaker space?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-10, 01:12 AM
You would need 2 seperate circuits preferably 20 amp circuits (20 amp c/b with 12 awg wire) or one 20 amp multi-wire circuit. In any case two space required for either. Perhaps you can legally free up another circuit with the utilization of a duplex or two? The pro's will be along, perhaps they will have a superior idea for you.

Old 10-24-10, 10:29 AM
What you are proposing is 2 - 15 receptacles on a 30 amp circuit. Short answer is NO. I'd use 2 new 20 amp circuits with 20 amp receptacles.

Old 10-24-10, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the replies. CasualJoe, I need to understand why I shouldnt go that route? Would I be better off running an 8/2 wire instead of 10/2? That would give me my 30 amp load, plus some.

Im trying to save space in my box, and understand the why's and why nots of it.

Thanks.

Old 10-24-10, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by davewest View Post
Thanks for the replies. CasualJoe, I need to understand why I shouldnt go that route? Would I be better off running an 8/2 wire instead of 10/2? That would give me my 30 amp load, plus some.

Thanks.
You can't use either 15 or 20 amp receptacles on a 30 amp circuit regardless of how big the wire is. You'll have to find another way to save space in the panel. Will your panel accept tandem circuit breakers? That is one acceptable and code compliant way to save space.

Old 10-24-10, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by davewest View Post

Thanks.

Davewest.,

There is alot of specfic ways to do this in legit way and what you are asking the first two question and both question you ask for in here the answer is no due few reason one is the 15 and 20 amp duplexs are rated to 20 amp circuit only and there is no extempts on this one even in commercal locations we have to follow this rules.

I know CasualJoe ask you if your load centre can take tadeam or twinner breaker if so pease list the model number here we can tell you what is legit or not.

And please do not do anything which it will result injury or fire like you mention above.

I have allready see that situation few time and not pretty sight to see where the receptales were really burnted before the 30 amp breaker will trip.

Merci.
Marc