ground wire

Old 10-25-10, 11:15 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ground wire

I am attempting to make a 220V extension cord in order to be able to use a spare oven in my basement. The oven is in one section of the basement and my existing 220V receptacle for my dryer is in another section of the basement. I have purchased a new receptacle (to be attached near the oven), a 30A/50A plug kit (to fit into my existing 220V receptacle) and a length of 10/3 wire. My issue is that the 10/3 wire has 4 wires in the bundle - a red, black and white wire and a 4th ground wire (wrapped in paper). The plug kit only has 3 terminals - no place for a ground wire to be connected. There is a threaded hole in the baseplate of the receptacle but there is no way that the wire can be attached to this hole as the wire is so thick.- What do I do (or can I do) with the ground wire? Thanks for your help.
pmk099

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-10, 11:31 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
So many code violations, where do I begin? Extension cords are only for temporary use. NM-b* can not be used for extension cords. If the oven is 120v/240v a three wire connection is no longer code. Depending on the oven specs a 30 amp circuit may not be large enough.

You need to run a new circuit from the breaker box.

Tech note: Modern residential wiring would be 240 not 220.

* I'm guessing NM-b (Romex) based on your description:
and a length of 10/3 wire. My issue is that the 10/3 wire has 4 wires in the bundle - a red, black and white wire and a 4th ground wire

Old 10-25-10, 12:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
I agree with Ray, the big problem is that most ranges call for a 40 or 50 amp 240 volt circuit. Dryers are 30 amp 240 volt circuits. You do not have enough capacity in the dryer circuit to run the stove.

A new properly wired circuit is the best answer.

Old 10-25-10, 06:45 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pmk, if you do choose to install a new circuit, being that this is an oven, go with the 50A circuit. It sounds like you may do a lot of cooking if you need a functioning oven in the basement If we have a long run and large draw a 40A will blow and your turkey may be not be so tasty. Also 10/3 won't be the right size for 50A, I'm thinking more like 6/3 (3 insulated conductor plus ground).