Two Romex cables through one connector?

Old 10-25-10, 04:42 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Two Romex cables through one connector?

Is it legal to secure two Romex cables through one connector?
Can Romex be stapled on top of another?
Thanks
Bill

Old 10-25-10, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
If the connector is listed for multiple cables it will state the sizes and number on the packaging.

If the staple is listed for multiple cables, see above, you can staple 2 flat cables flat to the stud. The cables cannot be stapled on edge.

Old 10-25-10, 05:30 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Depends on connector size and romex size. I have seen 2 pair of 12/2 romex coming in through one connector (can't recall if it was 1/2" or not). And yes you can staple multiple pairs under one staple. Make sure you have the correct length staple and don't overdrive it, no one is going to be yanking on them

Old 10-25-10, 05:41 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by chopnhack
Depends on connector size and romex size. I have seen 2 pair of 12/2 romex coming in through one connector (can't recall if it was 1/2" or not). And yes you can staple multiple pairs under one staple. Make sure you have the correct length staple and don't overdrive it, no one is going to be yanking on them
No, as pcboss stated, it depends on the U.L. listing. What we typically think of as a 3/8" romex connector that fits in a 7/8 Dia hole (1/2" K.O.) is generally not listed for more than ONE NM cable. There are however, duplex connectors that are U.L. listed to accept TWO NM cables and these connectors also fit one 1/2" K.O. As far as the staples, regardless of length, I haven't seen a cable staple that was U.L. listed for more than ONE NM cable, but I am not saying there aren't some out there. I'd be interested in seeing one that is listed for more than one cable.

By the way, 2 pair of 12-2 romex cables would be 4 romex cables.

Last edited by CasualJoe; 10-25-10 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Added a line
Old 10-25-10, 06:09 PM
C
Originally Posted by CasualJoe
I'd be interested in seeing one that is listed for more than one cable.

By the way, 2 pair of 12-2 romex cables would be 4 romex cables.
Halex this is a 3/8 connector rate for 2 cables

When I said two pair, I didn't mean 4 cables, only 2 complete 12/2 cables.

I will have to go check what I was looking at today. It had multiple 12/2 romex running through it. The knockouts were no bigger than 1/2", but I'm pretty sure I saw a few 2x cables run through some clamp style connectors.

Old 10-25-10, 06:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
CJ, peruse this link. Check the SN 150 listing.

Briscon Products - STAPLES

In my experience most NM connectors are good for 2 flat 14-2 or 12-2 NM cables. Only one round cable per connector. Again the package needs to be checked.

Old 10-25-10, 06:52 PM
Halex this is a 3/8 connector rate for 2 cables

When I said two pair, I didn't mean 4 cables, only 2 complete 12/2 cables.

I will have to go check what I was looking at today. It had multiple 12/2 romex running through it. The knockouts were no bigger than 1/2", but I'm pretty sure I saw a few 2x cables run through some clamp style connectors.
Well, I guess I have to stand corrected. It just goes to show you how things change every day.

Old 10-25-10, 06:53 PM
B
Many thanks

Many thanks to everyone who posted to answers my question.
I'll check the connector's rating
Also, staple length
Bill

Old 10-25-10, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by pcboss
CJ, peruse this link. Check the SN 150 listing.

Briscon Products - STAPLES

In my experience most NM connectors are good for 2 flat 14-2 or 12-2 NM cables. Only one round cable per connector. Again the package needs to be checked.
I suppose we all can learn something new every day. I think I'll pass this info along to a few friends who do residential work.

Old 10-25-10, 06:56 PM
C
Originally Posted by CasualJoe
Well, I guess I have to stand corrected. It just goes to show you how things change every day.
No need, you spoke from your experience as did I. Our experiences are different, not wrong. You are speaking to UL safety ratings, which is true. I was speaking from what I have seen done, not UL approved, but not necessarily unsafe either.

Old 10-25-10, 07:05 PM
No need, you spoke from your experience as did I. Our experiences are different, not wrong. You are speaking to UL safety ratings, which is true. I was speaking from what I have seen done, not UL approved, but not necessarily unsafe either.
Well, I have seen it too, but many years ago and I really don't think back then it was technically U.L. approved, but inspectors accepted it. Over the years I think the quality and education of inspectors has increased tremendously in most areas just like materials and approvals have also changed, it's actually not an easy thing to keep up with. Today you better know your codes and materials or you won't make it through a tough inspection.

Old 10-25-10, 07:12 PM
C
True, true, mostly for insurance reasons. Manufacturers not wanting to pay out in case of an accident, or insurance companies not wanting to payout if they can prove a non-UL occurrence linked with the loss. I can't imagine how many homes and business around the US have code violations and non-UL approved methods/products in them w/o incident. Not saying its correct nor should we lower our standards just that its commonplace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: