Conduit in culvert

Old 10-27-10, 03:24 PM
Conduit in culvert

I am in the process of finishing my outside wiring project. I ran a new circuit for outside in the front. It has 2 outlets on the house and a third one out to the Blue Spruce. It was already inspected and passed rough.

Here is my problem. My wife asks, "you ARE going to put an outlet by the other tree, right?" This would be on the other side of a concrete driveway.

My question, can i run conduit with THHN wire from my existing box through the culvert and over by the tree? I know that most conduit underground fills with moisture anyway so what would be the harm?

The only question is how to protect the conduit. And what about freezing? I live in Michigan. (Go Blue)

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-10, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Probably better to tunnel under the driveway. A garden hose and a pipe can be used for tunneling. You can use a hose nozzle on the end of the pipe to give a concentrated stream to cut through the dirt.

Old 10-27-10, 07:17 PM
thanks for the advice ray

Old 10-28-10, 08:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Thonati View Post
can i run conduit with THHN wire from my existing box through the culvert and over by the tree? I know that most conduit underground fills with moisture anyway so what would be the harm?
Honestly I don't know if it would be considered an underground installation or not. If it was, the minimum depth would be 18" under the paved surface regardless of conduit type so that could be an issue depending on how deep your drain culvert is. I see how you could make a case for it being an above ground installation and use threaded rigid pipe or sch 80 PVC to protect from damage. There's really nothing you can do about freezing, but it will freeze down several feet anyway so that's an issue for underground pipe too. If you use PVC expansion fittings prevent the pipe from cracking due to frost heave.

(Go Blue)
I think you meant Green.

Old 10-28-10, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
I think you meant Green.
Depends the wolverines are blue.