Round Electrical Box - Reposition?

Old 10-28-10, 05:12 PM
Red face Round Electrical Box - Reposition?

Here is my issue....I'm not very well versed in electrical work, so I'm a bit confused. I tried to replace the sconces in my stairwell, three in total. Two of which the round electrical boxes were positioned properly so that the physical screws of the sconce could attach into the box - horizontally. The screws that need to be embedded into the box are the only two support screws which pass through the sconce into the box, perfectly positioned.

One of the three electrical boxes is turned vertically, making it impossible for me to install the sconce without having it properly supported (if I were to attempt installation, the sconce would be turned sideways instead up right side up). Is there any way at all to turn the round electrical box to make the support screws horizontal? Or do I have to smash the current and install a new? Perhaps there is a bracket that someone knows of that would screw into the existing and have new horizontal supports?

This is the closest round electrical box I could find that accurately depicts what I'm dealing with: Carlon 4-1/4 In. Diameter, 18 Cu. In, Blue, Round Old Work Box With Swing Clamps - B618RR at The Home Depot

In addition since it's in my stairwell, my reach is limited.

Any ideas or even where I can buy brackets for wall sconces? Thanks in advance and please excuse my ignorance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-10, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
You need an mounting plate/bracket. The bracket will allow you to attach the bracket to the box and then the light to the bracket. You can find some at the big box stores or most lighting stores. I don't suggest using the remodel box you posted because it would be a PIA and not worth the trouble.

It will look something like this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_g5zUd7bijO...ng+bracket.jpg <----not my picture

Likely the odd box was attached to a bit of framing running 90degrees then the other two boxes.

Old 10-28-10, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Normally the sconces wouldn't fasten directly to the box. A hanger is fastened to the box and the sconce to the hanger. The hanger either is a disk with multiple slots or two flat strips with a center pivot. If the sconces are new they should have come with a hanger.

Old 10-28-10, 05:26 PM
I'll look into the bracket issue with the actual sconce.

Thank you!

Old 10-28-10, 06:09 PM
Group Moderator