NYC wiring code 110 or 220

Old 10-30-10, 07:57 AM
NYC wiring code 110 or 220

I would like to install a dryer in my apartment and I need to have a 220v outlet installed. Problem is my apartment doesn't seem to have 220v run to the breaker box. I went down to the basement and looked at the panels and it seems that some apartments have 220v run to them while other do not. It looks like down in the basement 4 apartments share a breaker panel. In the bank of apartments I'm in, if I touch my multimeter to the black wire on the breaker and the ground I see 110, if I touch the red and ground I see 110, but if I touch the red and black, I see 0. However if I do the same thing on the bank next to mine, I get 220 when I touch the red and black.

My question is, are apartments supposed to have 220v run to them? i.e. can I get the landlord to pay for fixing this. Or do I have to hire an electrician myself and if so, does he/she need to have any special training/permits to deal with power coming from the meter/street?

I live in the C line, the A line has 220.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-10, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by brent549 View Post
I would like to install a dryer in my apartment and I need to have a 220v outlet installed.
It's actually a 120/240V outlet. A dryer requires both voltages (four wire circuit).

if I touch the red and black, I see 0. However if I do the same thing on the bank next to mine, I get 220 when I touch the red and black.
It sounds like yours was wired incorrectly.

can I get the landlord to pay for fixing this.
As it is a problem with the feed coming into your unit it sounds like the landlord's problem, but I'm no expert on that.

Or do I have to hire an electrician myself and if so, does he/she need to have any special training/permits to deal with power coming from the meter/street?
You will need to hire an electrician to install the dryer receptacle anyway, so perhaps using the same one and splitting the cost with the landlord would be appropriate. Almost any multiple occupancy building requires that electrical work be done by a licensed and insured electrician. No special training beyond the license is required; any reputable electrical contractor should be okay.

I think your image link is broken, btw.