Soffit Outlets

Old 10-30-10, 08:41 PM
Soffit Outlets

I am considering installing a few outlets along my house's soffit for some Christmas lights this year.

Do the outlets need to be covered?
Do any or all outlets need to be GFCI?
If so - can only the first outlet in the line be GFCI?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-10, 09:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums!! Any receptacle used outdoors will need to be in a WP box with an approved "in use" cover, and ground fault protection. You can GFCI the string from the first one using the "load" side of the GFCI. All the receptacles will need to be stickered "GFCI Protected" with the stickers in the GFCI package.

Old 10-31-10, 04:52 PM
If you plan to install the outdoor receptales for christmas luminaires and this one tip I will pass it to you run all the soffit recepalts run thru the switch that way you can turn them off as need to so you don't have to reach them to turn them on or off every day.

Of course it have to be GFCI protected. if under the soffet and not really exposed to the weather the standard WP cover will work unless if get any rain or snow then use the inuse cover but do not mount them in inverted postion { the issue will catch water in the cover that why .,, }

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-31-10, 05:28 PM
x mas light, haqlloween lights

the way i have done it is to set the GFCI where it is accessible, like in the garage ( separate circuit ) then all receptacles under the eves are on the load side
( protected by the GFCI ), and can be switched or control by a timer switch ( Intermatic EJ 500 C or eqv ). I like to use Arlington In Box that do not protrude like on use covers, yet met thew 2008 NEC 406-8 requirement for exterior receptacles.

Old 10-31-10, 07:34 PM
I plan on mounting a programmable timer switch next to the main gfci in a closet:

Timer Switch
Amazon.com: Aube by Honeywell TI033/U 7-Day Programmable Timer Switch, White: Home Improvement

Using the load side of the gfci to feed the string of soffit outlets where I need them.

I found some low-profile in-use covers that I can paint to match the soffit. Home Depot's site tells me they sell them at the store so I'm going to go check them out tomorrow.

Taymac Slimline in Use Weatherproof Electrical Receptacle Cover Gray - ML450G at The Home Depot

I have a month or so to get this project done - hopefully I have a free weekend between now and then.

Thanks for the help