Conduit required in barn?

Old 10-31-10, 09:56 PM
Conduit required in barn?

I am adding a very basic bathroom in a pole barn. All wiring will be on surface. Electrical will include simplest light fixture and switch, and a 20A/240V heater. No outlet is required in a non-dwelling bathroom. Some of the current wiring in the barn is bare romex and some is in plastic conduits. I was wondering is some kind of conduit perhaps a code requirement today, or would romex still be acceptable as a surface installation?

I am in MN, where I understand we now follow NEC 2008. Inspection will be done by state inspectors.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-10, 01:20 AM
As long you don't have any livestock you can use any approved methold of cable or conduits to termated them in proper location.

But if you going to leave majtory of the walls are exposed then please run them in conduit unless you close the wall / ceiling up.

But I will let Toyln confirm this part due he live in Minnestoa so he will know couple more details with state codes.

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-01-10, 08:43 AM
Group Moderator
Marc is correct. Romex may not be run on the surface unprotected. Either run it in conduit or pull in THHN wires. Wiremold inside the bathroom may be a good option for you.
Where the wiring is done in livestock areas the wiring may only be UF, PVC, copper SE cables or jacketed MC cable.

Old 11-01-10, 06:01 PM
Actually the barn has been converted into a workshop space and no longer will hold livestock. Anyway, since the wiring will be on the surface of plywood walls, sounds like PVC conduit might be the best solution. Thanks for all the good advice.

Old 11-01-10, 09:07 PM
Just want to remind you that all the 120 volt circuits have to be GFCI protected and I know in State of Minnestota do not have any extempts on this one unless written in local code attachment.

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-02-10, 11:30 AM
Actually I thought this requirement was only for 120 V circuits that have power outlets. Since an outlet is not required by the code for a non-dwelling bathroom, I was not going to install one. Do you mean I also need to put a GFCI breaker in the light circuit?

Old 11-02-10, 12:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless there's something different about MN from the national code, your understanding is correct Pete. All receptacles must have GFCI protection, but a receptacle is not required in your case. The lights would only need GFCI if they were the plug-in kind like shop lights.