New Stove, Old Wiring (20 yeas)

Old 11-02-10, 01:34 PM
New Stove, Old Wiring (20 yeas)

My wife bought a stove at a yard sale with the new 4-prong plug. The receptacle in the kitchen is 3-prong. I read that swapping the 4-prong stove wire for a 3-prong stove wire was not a good idea. So, I purchased a new receptacle hoping the wire was 4-wire. No such luck. The wire is two black wires and a number of unshielded alum. wires (twisted into a group at the end). The all the wires are encased in a thin grey shield. I was told that I can:
1. jump the Green and Silver terminals in the receptacle,
2. attach the alum. Bundle to the Green (ground) terminal,
3. and simple attach the two black wires to each of the outside Brass terminals.

I can’t find anything on “two black wires” so I thought I would get a second opinion. Is this safe? (My friend said it was safe and “perfectly legal.”)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-10, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
None of those methods are legal.

There are two things you could do in this case:

1) Leave the existing three-wire circuit and NEMA 10-50R receptacle in place. Replace the cord on the stove with a matching 10-50P three-prong. Attach the bonding jumper inside the stove wiring compartment to bond the frame to the neutral (see manufacturer manual for detail). The method is somewhat less safe, but is grandfathered for homes built prior to 1996 electrical code.

-or-

2) Replace the existing range circuit with a new four-wire circuit. Generally this can be accomplished with #8-3g NM-B cable, a 40A double-pole breaker and a NEMA 14-50R receptacle. The stove would then use a matching 14-50P cord and have the bonding jumper removed. This method is compliant with current code, but is not required unless you are remodeling or moving the range circuit to a new location.

Old 11-02-10, 04:48 PM
Thanks

Thanks. I put back the 3-prong receptacle and started to install the new 3-prong wire to the stove and guess what I found. The neutral and ground wires of the 4-prong cable were attached to the same post. It would have saved me 3 days and an upset wife if I had just pulled off the back panel to start with.

Thanks again for the help. Everything is working fine.

Old 11-03-10, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by oldmaninva View Post
The neutral and ground wires of the 4-prong cable were attached to the same post.
They shouldn't have been. The previous owner who made that mistake essentially undid the added safety of the four-wire circuit.

Thanks again for the help. Everything is working fine.
Glad to hear you got it set up correctly.