Will this be fine??

Old 11-02-10, 06:15 PM
Will this be fine??

Im new here, Great forum!!
But heres my question. I was told it should fine, but i figured i should see what you guys say about it. In order to run a 230v welder in my garage I have to plug into my dryer plug. I have to make a 25ft extension cord from the dryer plug to my welder. The amp draw for the welder will be no more then 34amps. My extension cord will be a 25ft. 8/3 copper extenstion cord. My dryer plug is about 35ft from the fuse box and the wire running to it is alcoa 600v 6 guage, it is aluimum wire. The breaker for my dryer plug is a 50amp. Would everything work out alright or will i have issues? My main concern is the 6ga alu wire on a 50amp breaker, but i would be only drawing no more then 34 amps. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-10, 06:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your setup is incorrect. The breaker is too large for the wire. No. 6 AL is only good for 40 amps. Your dryer should be protected by a 30 amp breaker.

Old 11-02-10, 06:41 PM
There is couple issue I can see already first thing the dryer is always 30 amp 240 volt circuit {unless got a oddball one then it will be diffrent }

Second the dryer is delecicated circuit so you can not use this for other purpose..

Third is this garage is attached or detached ?? that will make the diffrence on this.

16mm˛ { # 6 AWG } alum conductors are rated at 40 amp.

The welder you mention draw 34 amp that should be on 40 or 50 amp circuit { it is my SOP to run it own welder circuit due too many varations to deal with it. }

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-02-10, 08:06 PM
Garage is attached. But i just want to make an extension cord to plug into the dryer outlet. The dryer will NOT be able to be ran while welding because the welder would be plugged in so nothing else will be on with it. I just got concerned seeing i have a 50 amp breaker with 6ga alu wire. I won't be drawing near 50 amps though.

Old 11-02-10, 11:41 PM
At the very least that circuit breaker needs to be changed to a 30 ampere double pole model and if the receptacle is a 50 ampere model it needs to be changed to a 30 ampere model along with the dryer pigtail (cord) being changed to suit.

Old 11-03-10, 08:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you have any more specs on the welder such as the info from the nameplate? Sizing a welder circuit is quite a bit different than other appliances.

Is the dryer circuit three wires or four?

Old 11-03-10, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by suzukishane View Post
Garage is attached. But i just want to make an extension cord to plug into the dryer outlet. The dryer will NOT be able to be ran while welding because the welder would be plugged in so nothing else will be on with it. I just got concerned seeing i have a 50 amp breaker with 6ga alu wire. I won't be drawing near 50 amps though.

Ok it will be much easier due you have attached garage you can run the welder circuit with out a issue or restriction otherwise you can add a optional subpanel to futher expand the capaity of the circuits.

Merci.
Marc