Recycling BX Cable

Old 11-04-10, 11:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Recycling BX Cable

I have some 8/3 BX cable I've pulled out ---- are there good ways to recycle that or other old wire and cable?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-10, 12:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can certainly recycle old cable at your local metal scrapyard ("scrap metal", "metal recycler" in the yellow pages); the price you get depends on how involved you want to get. If you want the highest price you'll need to separate the steel spiral and strip the copper wires. You can then sell the clean metals for highest price. Most metal yards will take the whole cable and give you maybe half the price you'd get for bare copper because they have to do the labor.

Old 11-04-10, 02:07 PM
Group Moderator
I'll assume that it is "real" BX with the paper inside and not MC which has plastic. With that your better off just taking whole to the scrapyard and it will be almost impossible to remove the steel jacket. You could cut the jacket in 24" sections and pull the jacket off and cut the wire then repeat until you get it all off.

If it is MC straighten the cable and clamp the wires in a vice. Then go to the other end and pull on the outside jacket. The outside jacket will pull right off. (more or less)

Old 11-04-10, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
If it is MC straighten the cable and clamp the wires in a vice. Then go to the other end and pull on the outside jacket. The outside jacket will pull right off. (more or less)
That's what garden tractors are for aren't they? ....lol.