3 to 4 wire range issue

Old 11-07-10, 07:39 PM
3 to 4 wire range issue

Ok, rewiring was recently done to older home. 4 wire plug was installed on wall for the range. The range that was in there had only the 3 wire plug. Picked up the new 4 wire plug and went to install it. (Right on the back of the range it says how to hook up 3 wire and 4 wire set ups) So, remove the rear cover. There are the 2 hots and a wire ran to ground on back of range. Now, the back of range shows it should be bonded with neutral here and that it is not, at least that I see. Now 4 wire plug directions on back show the neutral and ground each ran to there own spot. Well, there is nothing there. Only a red and black wire coming from the front of range. And a grounding lug. How the heck am I suppose to hook up the 4 wire cord? Can I run both the neutral and ground wire to the casing?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-10, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Are you saying you do not have an insulated block with three threaded lugs?

Old 11-07-10, 08:59 PM
Here let me post the photo up here.,

this what the range termail block look like

Is this the one you are talking about ??

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-10-10, 04:53 PM
Sorry for the delay. Yes that is the block that is imaged on the back of range. But is no block there. I can pick one up now that I know. Still don't get the whole need for it though. Can you just put the ground and neutral right on the ground lug on the range? What is this block doing that I am unaware of?

Old 11-10-10, 05:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It sounds to me like the block was broken by a previous owner and the pigtail was wired directly to the range wiring. You can not tie the house wiring's neutral to ground at any point beyond the first/main service disconnect, so you will have to find the neutral wire in the stove to tie it to. 3 wire ranges are able to do it because they are using the neutral to ground the frame of the range, the house neutral and ground are not connected together in this arrangement.

If this stove has no 120v parts, such as an oven light, clock, or timers, it may not have a neutral. In that case you would use the two hots and ground, and cap off the pigtail's neutral wire.

Old 11-10-10, 06:22 PM
Yes, the previous plug was wired directly to the range wiring. The red and black wires are ran from the controls at the front of the range underneath the cooktop and hanging down the back. I opened the top to some extent and pulled the front clip off to search for a neutral wire or somewhere to hook one up. Was not able to find one, which is what lead me to thinking about hooking both up to ground. Didn't think about capping it if it wasn't needed.