switch

Old 11-10-10, 01:54 PM
switch

I'm trying to wire a switch to operate 3 lights and a receptacle. First off, is this possible? Second, I've tried wiring it 2 different ways, then I reversed the wires on the switch, the lights and receptacle work in all 3 instances, but it won't shut off by the switch, what gives?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-10, 02:04 PM
Wiring

We need more info. Where is the power cable?(At the receptacle, or the switch box, or one of the lights)

Old 11-10-10, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by gearhead59 View Post
I'm trying to wire a switch to operate 3 lights and a receptacle. First off, is this possible?
Yes. The best way to wire this would be to bring the power cable (12/2) into the switch. From the switch, run a 12/2 cable to light1, then from light1 to light2, and so on to daisy-chain to each of the four devices you wish to control with the switch. At the switch, the grounds are connected, whites are connected and the blacks are connected to the switch terminals. At each controlled device, black to black, white to white, ground to ground.

Old 11-10-10, 07:31 PM
Gotcha! That sounds right after seeing it written down by you! Thanks ibpooks! I had it wired the way some other website told me to do it, ain't gonna go anywhere else for info ever again!