Wonky wiring!

Old 11-10-10, 05:45 PM
Question Wonky wiring!

Good Evening!

While doing a basement reno we came across some wonky wiring!

First and foremost, can you have 2 switches in a double gang box being powered by 2 different circuit breakers?

While both switches work lights for the same room, they are getting their power from 2 different runs; pot lights (on dimmer), overall lighting (on 3way)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-10, 06:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's not uncommon, especially when 3 and 4 way switches are involved. Nothing wrong with it either. There are box dividers designed for such situations, but those are rarely used in residential because there's no requirement for them. I believe they are required in commercial wiring. As for the lighting, it was most likely set up that way purposely so that if one circuit trips, you don't lose all lighting in the room. Especially if the lighting shares a circuit with receptacles.

Old 11-10-10, 06:33 PM
I have see it from time to time on resdentail useage and useally not a issue.

JerseyMatt I know what you are talking about the divder slot and we must use that in commercal system if it is wired 277 volts MWBC the 120 volts MWBC is not a issue so not need to unless you have two diffrent mix of voltage in the switch box like one is 120 volts and other one is at 277 volts then yes we have to install the divder in.

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-10-10, 06:48 PM
Red face

Wonderful...I was afraid we would have to make even more work for us.

Thanks for the speedy replies!
Seragilo

Old 11-10-10, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah that's what I was thinking of, different voltages, not different circuits. I knew there was something specific that required them. Thanks Marc.

Old 11-11-10, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by JerseyMatt View Post
Yeah that's what I was thinking of, different voltages, not different circuits. I knew there was something specific that required them. Thanks Marc.
I don't remember which part in NEC code but I know it is there ditto with French electrical code as well.

Any 480Y277 MWBC in the switch box is automatic divider in there the key issue is more than 250 volts to ground that why we have to install the divider in there ditto with French 415Y240 volts system.

Merci.
Marc