GFCI problem

Old 11-12-10, 06:05 AM
GFCI problem

There is a GFCI in my grandmothers bathroom. It tripped one day and would not reset so I replaced it with a new one but still not working. there are two sets of wires going to the outlet. one is hot and the other is not. can someone please shed some light on some options for me. I have about 10 hours before I leave here and head back to where Im stationed and she cannot afford to have an electrician come out for something this miniscule.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-10, 06:36 AM
Ok so I replaced it with another GFCI thinking maybe the new one was bad and it was. But as soon as I flip the breaker the GFCI trips and will not let me reset it

Old 11-12-10, 06:59 AM
ahhh sorry for the panic guys, found a open neutral in another receptacle. capped it off with a wire nut and voila.

Old 11-12-10, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well in one hour you did more than we did all day, so glad you got it going. If the neutral was open, what did it go to, and why did you cap it off? You may have a receptacle not working, now.

Old 11-12-10, 09:59 PM
Well the two nuterals where just wired together but it looked like it was touching the metal box inside the wall so I put a wire nut on it to stop it from grounding out and all is well now.

Old 11-12-10, 11:05 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by lyferxb9s View Post
Well the two nuterals where just wired together but it looked like it was touching the metal box inside the wall so I put a wire nut on it to stop it from grounding out and all is well now.
Yep, that will trip a GFCI if the box is metal and properly grounded.