Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

AC "Undercounter" Light Pucks: Using in Attic and "Extending" Cords

Old 11-12-10, 04:27 PM

Hi,

In the lighting forum I recently expressed my frustration at not finding practical light fixtures for my basement and attic.

I did come across a possible solution that looked interesting, fluorescent "pucks" designed for under-cabinet lighting. The "starter kit" had three pucks, a linecord, and two proprietary extension cords for daisy chaining. Each puck had a small rocker switch. Add-on pucks could be added, I'm not sure how many.

I wonder if there's any fundamental or statutory reason I couldn't use these in my attic. I can think of at least one concern: it reaches up to 130 F at the apex of my roof, and that's with the assistance of the gable mounted thermostatic fan. I don't know how hot it can get if the fan fails: I installed a peak-hold indoor/outdoor thermometer with the readout on the floor and the remote sensor at the apex only after installing the fan. f this is a valid concern, how would I go about determining the maximum design ambient temperature? Perhaps halogen pucks would be better: although they get hotter, the materials used are probably more heat resistant.

I guess I'd string up a bunch of romex between blanked off electrical boxes every 6-8 feet and use the "direct wire" method which I think was illustrated as an alternative to plugging them into an outlet.

See any problems? "Unintended Application"? Unlisted for application? Could the numbers associated with the UL listing give me clues as to what it's rated for? The website for the product isn't much help.

Thank you in advance!

-Jeff

Last edited by mysterylectric; 11-12-10 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-10, 04:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm pretty sure I know which ones you are talking about. They're white and about 8-12" long? As long as the manufacturer's instructions give you a direct wiring option, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. If they don't give you direct wiring instructions, that means they are not listed for direct wiring and you will have to install receptacles in those boxes and just plug them in (or daisy chain them as directed and plug in the first unit). I had fluorescent shop lights in my old house attic, never had problems. Just keep in mind they will be near useless in the winter until they warm up though. But the heat was never a problem.

Old 11-12-10, 09:55 PM
Thanks Matt, I think I'll get a unit and try it out. On thinking about it some more I may have trouble with the narrow beam spread because my "bays" are so low. It very seldom freezes here so I don't think the low end will be a problem.