Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

can I pig-tail flexible copper wire off 14 gauge solid copper?

Old 11-14-10, 08:37 PM

I have a double box - one side pole switch for disposer and the other side for outlet and power to range hood fan/light. I got everything working, tested, turned off power, tucked/forced all wires back into box, affixed faceplate and then nothing.

I think the problem is all the stiff copper breaking or losening when stuffing back into box.

What can I do?
Do I need a bigger box?
Can I use flexible twisted copper? Gauge?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-10, 09:08 PM
Yes, you may use stranded copper. I've never bought 14 AWG stranded, but I have used a lot of 12 AWG pigtails and 12 AWG stranded. Stranded is harder to terminate on devices, though, and if you're already having fill issues, you sure don't want to use 12 AWG. 14 AWG solid should not be hard to work with. You may have too much box fill ... sometimes you can rearrange, or for example turn something upside down.

If you can post nice clear photos to a photo site and add IMG links here, maybe somebody can give you more suggestions.

Old 11-15-10, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As you are preparing your photos, tell us how many cables (not wires) you have entering the box.

Old 11-15-10, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the circuit is 20 amps all the wiring must be #12. You cannot reduce down to #14 for the pigtails.

You may have an issue as it sounds like the 20 amp small appliance circuit that can power only the receptacles is also being used for the range hood.