finding studs

Old 12-17-00, 04:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi gang,
New here. I'm trying to hang some cabinets in the laundry room by myself and without a stud finder. 45.00 seemed an awful lot to pay but now I'm in trouble. I know the layout is 16"apart but how do I know when the first one starts from the corner? Pounding on the wall, it all sounds the same. Please heeellllp. I don't want my hubby to find a wall full of holes.

Old 12-17-00, 05:15 PM
s1nuber
Visiting Guest
Tap the wall and listen carefully. The thump will sound more hollow where the studs are not. Otherwise buy a stud finder. If you are covering it up with cabinets, maybe you could use a small nail, pushing it in the wall along a hoirizontal line untill you find the stud. It won't penetrate the stud as easily, but this will leave holes that should be covered by the cabinets. This is an electrical board, so you may want to check other boards for framing/cabinet tricks.

Old 12-17-00, 07:03 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can buy much cheaper stud-finders. A simple magnetic one is only two or three bucks. The low end of the electronic ones are only about $12 and work fine through half-inch drywall.

Don't rely on the 16" rule. It will not be accurate enough. I too have never had any success with the thumping method.

Like s1nuber, I sometimes use a heavy-duty straight pin or a small nail as a probe. The holes are very small and as s1nuber says will be covered up by the cabinets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: