LV Landscaping Transformer Outdoors Only?

Old 11-16-10, 08:23 AM
LV Landscaping Transformer Outdoors Only?

I was about to install a low-voltage landscape lighting transformer inside my shed until I noticed on the unit, "INSTALL OUTDOORS ONLY, ONE FOOT ABOVE GROUND...."
Seems if it's rated for outdoors, why not indoors?
Of course, I'll follow the instructions, but what's the technical reasoning?
Many thanks,
Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-10, 08:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most of the time the LV cable is not rated for in-wall usage. Keeping the transformer outside ensures that the cable does not get used in the wall.

Old 11-16-10, 09:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I saw a post once from a person claiming to be an engineer at Malibu (maker of many lighting products) who said that the fire rating of outdoor transformers is significantly different than indoor transformers. Outdoor transformers can operate at higher temperatures and may give off harmful fumes if they actually do meltdown or burn. In your case, I'm not sure I would consider the shed interior "indoors" as that term usually implies a dwelling space or otherwise conditioned habitable space.

Old 11-16-10, 09:33 AM
Indoors/Outdoors?

Thanks for this logical explanation.
Now I'm wondering if a shed (or garage) is technically an indoor or outdoor installation?
Any Code interpretations here?

Old 11-16-10, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
You could look for a 120v/12v auxilary transformer but most are 24v. What I might consider but can't recommend is an axillary transformer with a 240v primary and 24 volt secondary. When used on 120v that would give you 12v. I would fuse the output. An auto fuse holder should do fine.

Old 11-16-10, 05:43 PM
There are serveal reason why the landscape transfomer are only outdoor useage due .,,

• Outdoor rated conductors { they are not listed to run indoor at all }

• They typically run hotter than indoor rated transfomer.

• Majorty of the landscape transfomer were classifed by UL or CUL OR CSA or other approveal means by testing in outdoor evroment and the installment instruction mention that do not run them indoor at all.

Now for last thing simuair to this sisuation the key issue is you have to watch the voltage drop on low voltage luminaire they are very senstive so plan the conductor and luminaires without issue with voltage drop.

Normally I will recomened to use 4.0mm² or larger { #12 AWG or larger }

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-17-10, 07:56 AM
Thanks to the moderators, Ray, and Marc for all of the helpful advice on this project!
I'll install a outdoor outlet with an in-use weather cover
I'll mount the xfmr outside -as required
I'll use 12 ga wire to center-feed eight 10 watt fixtures (Four either side of center)
See.....people actually take the expert advice given here!
Many thanks,
Bill