confused

Old 11-17-10, 06:38 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
confused

I am trying to fix an junction box. I have 3 hot wires The red one is on one breaker and then I have a white and black (both are hot) on another breaker. Why is the white hot and how do I tell which other white goes with the red hot wire?

Old 11-17-10, 07:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Why are you trying to fix this? Is the wiring all disconnected? How did you determine the white was hot? do you know which breakers shut off the power to this box? Is one of the breakers a 2 pole breaker? Can you post a pic?

Old 11-17-10, 07:55 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
all the wires are disconected right now.I shut each breaker to find the ones for this box.The box has 4 sources coming to it. I checked the wires with a tester and have 3 hot wires.altogether there are: a black and white from a light then there are 3 black and 1 white that go to the wall switch and outlet. Another has a black white and red And the last has black and white.(this one has a red and white wire going into the conduit that has the red black and white wire. As far as I can tell one circuit is for the lights and the other is for the outlets

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: