light dont work

Old 12-17-00, 06:58 PM
Visiting Guest
I replaced a light bulb and when I turned the light back on there was a 'pop' and now no light will work in the fixture. What happened and what needs to be replaced?

Walter

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-00, 07:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You either tripped the circuit breaker or tripped a GFCI. If you don't know how to reset them, ask. And when you do, tell us where the light is (what room, lamp or ceiling, etc) and whether it is incandescent or fluorescent.

Old 12-17-00, 07:10 PM
Visiting Guest
The light fixture is part of recessed lighting in the basement. There are a total of four. The other three do work. They use regular light bulbs.

Old 12-17-00, 08:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If all four lights are controlled by the same switch, then I guess it's not the GFCI or breaker.

I now think you'll need to replace the inside components of the can light. Shut off the breaker (not just the wall switch) and see how much you can disassemble. Look for signs of damage.

I hope someone else come on here and offers an opinion too, since my advice isn't particularly useful.

Old 12-18-00, 10:52 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
In my opinion the socket may have twisted causing a short. However most of the recessed lights I have experienced are clicked in to the fixture. If this is the case you may have moved a wire causing it to short against a sharp part of the fixture.

I think John Nelson is right the problem is a short in the socket or the wires attached to the socket.

Good Luck

Wg