putting outlet in pocket door wall

Old 11-18-10, 08:18 AM
putting outlet in pocket door wall

Putting an outlet in a pocket door wall.... I am doing a kitchen remodel and want to put an outlet in a wall with a pocket door. There should be plenty of room: the plaster is almost an inch thick, a tile backslash will be another quarter inch or more. I should have plenty of room to fit a thin electrical box between the tile surface and door.

Has anyone done this? were you able to get enough clearance for the wire? does it hold up or does it inevitably cause pocket door problems?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-10, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
does it hold up or does it inevitably cause pocket door problems?
I certainly wouldn't take the risk. Anyway it can be moved just enough to avoid the pocket. Is there a cabinet? If so you could put it in the end of the cabinet or face of the cabinet. In that case drop the cable past the pocket opening to a box under the counter and transition to armored cable under the cabinet.

Old 11-18-10, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
Doesn't mean it can't be done but I've only seen them installed far enough back to avoid the pocket door entirely

Old 11-18-10, 09:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by jm949 View Post
Has anyone done this? were you able to get enough clearance for the wire? does it hold up or does it inevitably cause pocket door problems?
Yes, but it's tricky to get it. The cable needs to be fastened really well to keep it from drifting into the door path. Also pay attention to box fill on the small boxes -- you'll probably only be able to get one cable in, so splices will have to be done in another box somewhere.

Old 11-18-10, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I try to avoid this wherever possible. The depth of the frame makes it difficult to keep the proper clearences to the cable.

Old 11-18-10, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
I try to avoid this wherever possible. The depth of the frame makes it difficult to keep the proper clearences to the cable.
Would the cable be allowed to run along the underside of one of the horizontal boards of the pocket frame, or would standoffs be required?

Old 11-18-10, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by ArgMeMatey View Post
Would the cable be allowed to run along the underside of one of the horizontal boards of the pocket frame, or would standoffs be required?
Since the cable would not be 1 1/4" away from the face of the framing member I would think you would need standoffs. Since there is no way to protect this cable I suggest keeping the cable out of the pocket and surface mounting the cables/receptacles. That or mount it on the side of the cabinet. Other thing I have seen is mounting the receptacle on the underside of the upper cabinet.

Old 11-18-10, 07:32 PM
Gernally I try to advoid the pocket door area much as I can but if some reason I have to do it then do it during new or remodel construction as long the drywall is off it possible but IMO not really a best way you can use them.

Merci.
Marc