Romex splices

Old 11-20-10, 12:20 PM
Romex splices

Sold at Home Depot. The packages says they eliminate the need for a junction box. Are these NEC approved?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-10, 01:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They are probably only approved for use in manufactured/mobile homes.

See here:

http://www.code-elec.com/userimages/...connectors.pdf

Old 11-20-10, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
There was discussion a while back about these. Though they may be UL and code approved...many inspectors may have issues. I believe French had some insight into their use. I'm sure some of the other electrical Pro's know something as well.

They (or similar) have been used as Hot stated..mostly w/o issues..but those are in factory trained tech situations.

Old 11-20-10, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
They are probably only approved for use in manufactured/mobile homes.

See here:

http://www.code-elec.com/userimages/...connectors.pdf
Page 2 of your attached file clearly states this product is for manufactured housing, look under Applications. I don't doubt the big box stores would be selling these and probably recommending them as well to unsuspecting homeowners.

Old 11-20-10, 08:24 PM
The attached file is nearly 10 years old. It appears that they may have been approved for use beyond manufactured homes. I don't remember seeing these splices at HD before. A quick Google shows that they are available from lots of suppliers. None of the descriptions I read indicate any restrictions on their use beyond what i pasted below.

Here's the product info I found on the HD web site:

Tyco Electronic's Non-metallic splice and tap kits provide a fast and reliable method for splicing or tapping 2 wire w/ ground and splicing 3 wire w/ground non-metallic cables up to 300 volts. They are designed and approved for use in rework within existing structures. Splice and Tap Kits also eliminate wire nuts for installation and replace the conventional method for adding a splice or tap for non-metallic cable without the need for exposed and unsightly junction boxes. NEC approved Article 334-40b.

2 Wire Ccnnection
For Use On 12 or 14 AWG (300 Volt) 2 wire NM cable with ground
Eliminates junction boxes and wire nuts
Fast & simple to install
NEC compliant - article 334-40b, 2005 & 2008 NEC
UL & CSA listed
MFG Brand Name : Tyco Electronics
MFG Model # : CPGI-1116377-2
MFG Part # : CPGI-1116377-2

I also found this on another site:

quote:
334.40(B) Devices of Insulating Material.
Switch, outlet, and tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and fished. Openings in such devices shall form a close fit around the outer covering of the cable, and the device shall fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of the covering has been removed. Where connections to conductors are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available as many terminals as conductors.

Old 11-20-10, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys for mention that and Wayne., thanks for showing the NEC art. code.

Now for the Tyco connector and yes that is true they are found in manufactered/mobile home appacation however it did show up in few true resdnetail house.

They work ok to me but from my past experince from time to time the connection can go bad and it can take a while to find it if you are not aware where the conductors run.

My SOP is find the bad one and put in old work box and resplice it witih proper wirenuts that useally clear up the issue.

I am not sure if couple other guys ran into like this before.

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-22-10, 10:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm pretty sure they are now allowed in all residential where NM-B is allowed for old work only. They are not approved for new work where a proper junction box could be installed. They also must be used on modern NM-B cable only, not for old NM cable which much old work would be anyway. I would try to avoid using the connectors unless it was absolutely necessary.

Old 11-22-10, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I doubt if I will ever use one but I remember nicking a wire in my attic several years ago and there was not enough cable slack to splice inside a J box. I ended up using 2 J boxes with a short jumper. I thought it was a crappy fix but no way was I going to replace the entire cable. Had these connectors been around then I would have been tempted.

FWIW - The guy in the electrical dept at Home Depot told me he wouldn't use them either.

Old 11-22-10, 08:12 PM
I have never seen them before, but when checking the manufactuer's website copyrighted 2009, it states the following:

Meets requirements of NEC 2002 articles 545, 550, 551 and 334-40B (Tap and 3-Wire Interconnection)
UL Listed, file number - E57250
AMP NETCONNECT Non-Metallic (NM) Sheathed Cable Interconnections

Has anyone checked these articles in the 2008 NEC?

When I checked NEC articles 545, 550 and 551 (in the 2002 NEC) I found that these articles apply to Manufactured Buildings, Mobile Homes and Mobile Home Parks and Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks. Article 334-40B allows these devices to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and rewiring in existing buildings where the cables is concealed or fished.

I don't think I would use them. IMO they violate the spirit of good workmanlike practice in that all splices and junctions should be accessible although they appear to be code compliant in some situations or at least they were in the 2002 NEC.

Here is some additional information from the U.L. Online Certifications Directory.

QAAV.GuideInfo - Nonmetallic-sheathed Cable Interconnectors

Last edited by CasualJoe; 11-22-10 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-22-10, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
I have never seen them before, but when checking the manufactuer's website copyrighted 2009, it states the following:

AMP NETCONNECT Non-Metallic (NM) Sheathed Cable Interconnections

Has anyone checked these articles in the 2008 NEC?

When I checked NEC articles 545, 550 and 551 (in the 2002 NEC) I found that these articles apply to Manufactured Buildings, Mobile Homes and Mobile Home Parks and Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks. Article 334-40B allows these devices to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and rewiring in existing buildings where the cables is concealed or fished.

I don't think I would use them. IMO they violate the spirit of good workmanlike practice in that all splices and junctions should be accessible although they appear to be code compliant in some situations or at least they were in the 2002 NEC.

Here is some additional information from the U.L. Online Certifications Directory.

QAAV.GuideInfo - Nonmetallic-sheathed Cable Interconnectors
Joe.,

As we are aware with the Art 545,550,551 they are only used in mobile home and RV useage but for perament resdnetail useage that get sticky that why my personal option I advoid them much as I can those item are very and I mean very last resort to use them that the main reason why I rather use the proper junction boxes and go from there.

I have dealt few of them allready before with manufacted homes { not the mobile home types }

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-23-10, 10:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
...not to mention the connectors are like $10/ea. A j-box, cover and some wirenuts should be maybe $2.50.

Old 11-23-10, 11:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would be curious to know if any inspector has not permitted the use, and what article they are citing. I can definetly see their convenience, but I personally, would be reluctant to have one of these in walls.

What I don't understand is, if they allow them in old work, fished in walls, then why would they not just fish a new cable in there?

Old 11-23-10, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
I would be curious to know if any inspector has not permitted the use, and what article they are citing. I can definetly see their convenience, but I personally, would be reluctant to have one of these in walls.

What I don't understand is, if they allow them in old work, fished in walls, then why would they not just fish a new cable in there?
I haven't run into the issue between myself and the inspector and with that kind of Tyco connector I just rip it out and run new cable or proper conductors in the place to slove the issue and I did hold on couple bad TYCO connectors and I did show it to the inspector even thru he did understand it is legit to use in the manufactered home but after he saw the bad TYCO connector he understand what I am going thru with that.

In hard fact it only take little longer to just run proper junction box as other items as need to instead of replace the TYCO connectors I know there are approved for limited use for remodeling { this part my inspectors are looking for this one }

The bottom line how the TYCO got approve is the bottom line is the manufacter will find a way to get around the code to speed up the whole thing and I never personally like it too much at all.

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-24-10, 06:59 AM
Marc - I think what makes these connectors so attractive is the elimination of the need for a junction box. While JBs are no big deal in an attic or a basement they are ugly in a living space. I have one in a kitchen and another in a hallway and I would really like to get rid of them.