Not getting enough Power??

Old 11-20-10, 12:49 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not getting enough Power??

Hey guys, hoping someone can solve this mystery.

I live in Dayton Ohio. I have one circuit with a toaster, microwave, and a few very small power devices. What has been happening over the past week is that when the microwave or toaster are used, the power cuts like a breaker has been tripped except, the breaker has not been tripped. The entire circuit might stay off for a few minutes or days. The rest of the circuits in the house are fine.

Sometimes it seems to reset things when we go ahead and flip the breaker anyway. I just replaced the breaker and it seemed to make no difference. The microwave might start and go for a few seconds and then just shut down. Same with toaster. Both applicances work fine on other outlets.

What the heck?

Old 11-20-10, 12:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sounds like you got a loose wire in either a receptacle or in the main panel. Have you looked at this yet?

Old 11-20-10, 04:28 PM
D
I have swapped the applicances to different outlets, so I've elminiated the "bad outlet" theory. I replaced the breaker and really clamped the wire in there hard, so don't think that is it. Would a partially cut wire create a power shartage? Animal chewing wire or corrosion maybe?

Old 11-20-10, 04:54 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Would a partially cut wire create a power shartage? Animal chewing wire or corrosion maybe?
Yes but first you did move all back-stabs to the screws, check not just receptacles but lights on the circuit and replace, not just check, all wire nuts including at lights and switches on the circuit.

Remember the problem can be at the last good device not just the first bad one.

Old 11-20-10, 05:12 PM
R
I have swapped the applicances to different outlets, so I've elminiated the "bad outlet" theory.
How so? To me, that would indicate the appliances are okay when plugged into a good outlet. It doesn’t rule out a possible bad outlet or faulty connection at the receptacle.

Old 11-20-10, 10:09 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
First thing you have to do is check for loose connection on the recepatles especaily with backstabbed they are famous for that.

Once you rule that out and check the wirenuts in there as well make sure they are not loose.

If you have GFCI receptetale in your kitchen check the connection and make sure you push the test button to see if that pop out if not then either GFCI is toasted or bad connection in that circuit. ( Few case you will find them in GFCI breakers as well )

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-22-10, 06:08 AM
D
Thanks everyone for their input. That solved the problem! I pulled all the recepticles and tichtened them down.

Old 11-22-10, 08:42 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Good going. Thanks for letting us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: