electric heat thermostat

Old 11-17-10, 12:43 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
electric heat thermostat

currently have the dial thermostat. is not accurate (heat comes on when not needed) suggestions for a reliable therm. will need 4 for downstairs rooms

Old 11-17-10, 01:05 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is this the dial on the baseboard itself (lo/med/hi/off) or a wall mounted thermostat?

Old 11-19-10, 06:57 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wall mounted - indicated temperatures

Old 11-19-10, 04:45 PM
E
They come in single pole (breaks one leg of current) or two-pole(breaks both legs of current). Good idea to get switch that does not ever actually have a true OFF position - instead getting switch where when you turn it all the way down, it will still be able to come on if temp in house dips to about under 45 degrees - better for home and belongings that they do not get too cold, and to ensure your house does not freeze up. Since you have to buy them anyway, someone in the electrical dept. of a home improvement store should be able to help you.

Old 11-19-10, 07:07 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
What is the voltage of the heaters? You'll have to use 2 pole thermostats for 240 volt heaters and single pole thermostats if they are 120 volt. Line voltage thermostats are typically bi-metal devices and not noted for high accuracy. Many of them still just have Low-Med-High markings rather then temperature markings and rarely have a thermometer to give you actual temperature.

Old 11-20-10, 05:38 PM
E
Originally Posted by CasualJoe
You'll have to use 2 pole thermostats for 240 volt heaters and single pole thermostats if they are 120 volt.
Technically single pole stats can be used for both - and have been. Local code needs to be consulted. There is a risk of shock if a person does not know 240 was wired with single pole switch, since one leg remains live.

Many baseboard heaters I have seen (and repaired/replaced switches)are on single pole, and only go to the "lo" setting, and not to an "off" setting.

Old 11-20-10, 10:03 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Before you get new thermosat for the baseboard heater there are couple items you will need to know.

Single pole { it useally don't have off postion }

Two pole or double pole { useally have off postion }

Ampacity of this circuit for baseboard heater(s)

Most thermostat are useally rated for 22 amp rating AFAIK but few can have higher rated but genrally more expensive.

And Of course you can get them in electronique verison as well.

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-21-10, 09:56 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by ecman51`
Technically single pole stats can be used for both - and have been. Local code needs to be consulted. There is a risk of shock if a person does not know 240 was wired with single pole switch, since one leg remains live.

Many baseboard heaters I have seen (and repaired/replaced switches)are on single pole, and only go to the "lo" setting, and not to an "off" setting.
Actually, I think I'd use a 2 pole thermostat regardless of the voltage. No, there is no code requirement to use a 2 pole thermostat on a 240 volt heater (a single pole thermostat will work just fine), but the commonly available 2 pole line voltage thermostat generally has the positive "OFF" feature marked on the dial and also qualifies as a disconnecting means. I think if I were wiring 120 volt heaters I might use the 2 pole thermostat just for that feature unless I could find a single pole thermostat with the same positive "OFF" function.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: