Wire between hot and ground dangerous?

Old 11-21-10, 12:17 PM
Wire between hot and ground dangerous?

I live in a house that was built in 1962. Today, as I went to replace a wall plug, I noticed that a copper wire was run from the ground to the incoming hot. I assume this was done to trick a ground detector as with it the plug tests grounded and without, it obviously does not.

Is there some other reason for this, however, and is it dangerous because I'm assuming the rest of my house must be wired like this?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-10, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Welcome to the Forums...but I think you mean a wire was run from the ground on the outlet to the NEUTRAL wire?

Running it to the hot would be crazy and never fool a tester. Would also probably electrify many items plugged into the outlets.

Old 11-21-10, 12:47 PM
Group Moderator
You need to disconnect the wire now. Like Gunguy I suspect you meant the neutral (grounded conductor -
always white) not the hot (ungrounded conductor - usually black or red) as that would cause a dead short. However it is still dangerous because it can energize any metal devices/fixtures on the circuit.

Old 11-21-10, 04:05 PM
I will suggest that you disconnect that wire right now and check other receptales to make sure.

That is not a safe set up at all.

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-21-10, 09:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a question. he has three prong outlets and you guys are telling him to remove the wire between the neutral and ground so does he have to label all of the outlets "no ground" or can i just switch out all of my two outlets to three since grounds don't matter?

Old 11-21-10, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by bobbi 5 View Post
I have a question. he has three prong outlets and you guys are telling him to remove the wire between the neutral and ground so does he have to label all of the outlets "no ground" or can i just switch out all of my two outlets to three since grounds don't matter?
No. You have three options. Replace all 3 prong ungrounded receptacles with 2 prong ungrounded receptacles. Replace the first receptacle in the string with a GFCI receptacle and use the included labels to mark them no equipment ground. This does increase personal safety though it doesn't provide a ground. If you can't figure out which is the first receptacle you can use a GFCI breaker.

Two other options are to run individual ground wires from the panel to each receptacle or run new grounded cable. Running the ground wires may be as hard as running new cable so the latter may be the best choice.

Depending on wiring method some receptacles that appear to be ungrounded may be grounded. Though with older BX cable the grounding may be iffy it may provide an adequate ground. Some early NM cable with a ground wire had the ground wire terminated outside of the Jbox. This can be seen by taking the cover off the breaker box. If you have a large number of bare ground wires, often smaller then the conductors, then the boxes may be grounded.