Which Color for Common? (3-way Sw)

Old 11-22-10, 12:45 PM
Group Moderator
Which Color for Common? (3-way Sw)

I know this is like asking if the ground hole should be on top or bottom but want to get a general consensuses if possible and maybe I'll adjust my posts accordingly so we have consistency in our replies. I believe it is common (pun intended) to use the white. I however tend to use the red and re-color the white black. That way the two same colored wires (black) are travelers and the odd colored wire (red) is the common. I see a sort of logic to that.

And yes I will admit to using the white when I had colored marking tape handy. So lets really take this over the edge, blue or yellow or something else?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-10, 02:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I use the remarked white as the common and the red and black as travelers. The white gets remarked with whichever color tape is on the top of my tool bag, usually red, black or blue but I do keep other colors handy too.

Old 11-22-10, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depending on how the 3ways are wired there is no need to use the white for a traveler or common.

If a cable is used the white should be the feed to the switch. NEC 200.7

Old 11-22-10, 06:50 PM
For me it will depending on how it lay out on the 3 ways set up if feed thru aka power to the first three way switch then no I do not need to remark the white at all that will be striaght netural.

However with switch loop then yes with cable I will remark the white conductor to any colour as long they are not grey or green that are off limit colours.

But in conduit with THHN/ THWN then I use proper conductor colours for it.

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-22-10, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks all. White it is.