Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Different styles of pushmatic breakers (bolt spacing/ location)???

Old 11-23-10, 08:42 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

So I'm wiring a hot tub. Replacing a 40A breaker with a 60A. I bought a 60A pushmatic breaker that appeared to be the same but upon further inspection there are a few differences... Most importantly the bolt holes do not line up the same where it would mount into the panel. (also note the plastic 'wings' on the side and the 'feet' on the bottom)

So question is are there two types of pushmatic breakers OR why are these different?

I have found lots online saying there arent different kinds and that any should bolt right up but obviously not...

AND can I just drill holes in the right place so I can bolt them into my panel? (I just want to be 100% sure before I go drilling holes to make the wrong thing fit???)

Thanks for the help, hopefully I get this figured out before my hot tub freezes!

Old 11-23-10, 09:41 AM
S
I have had this problem only once (the first time), and was a little annoyed to say the least. You must take the old C/with you to drop on the counter, so to speak, it can be matched up. Yes the holes don't always match up. I take the old C/B and go to a electric house that sells both re-furbished (I take this to mean tested, cleaned and polished with a seal of approval by the store????) and new, and let them help me out with the replacement. Drilling a new hole would not be an option I'm sure.

Old 11-23-10, 12:22 PM
J
I just got the breaker off craigslist.. I'm not aware of any place that sells these locally other than used???

What is the difference besides the bolt spacing/ why would there be different ones?? Everything I can find online says there is only one type...

Any reason not to drill the holes in the right place? I found another one on craigslist so I'll see if it is the right kind...

Old 11-23-10, 12:37 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Off topic but needs to be asked. You wrote:
So I'm wiring a hot tub. Replacing a 40A breaker with a 60A.
You did increase the wire size didn't you?

Old 11-23-10, 07:20 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I think what you have is two different types, one is a main breaker and the other is a branch breaker. They are slightly different.

Old 11-23-10, 08:22 PM
S
There's two. Stake my rep on it. Used P.M. C/Bers from a reputable C/B shop is usually my option. Some say the new ones at the H/D are not so good. My opinion on drilling stands.

Old 11-24-10, 08:47 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I think the 60A breaker is actually a "main" breaker for the bottom half of a split-bus panel, not a typical branch-circuit breaker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: