Electrical Outlet starts Fire Alarm

Old 11-26-10, 07:31 AM
Electrical Outlet starts Fire Alarm

My daughter has a receptacle in her room that we have not used before. We plugged in a lamp the other day and the fire alarm in the ceiling went off. The fire alarm is in the hallway. The lamp is in her bedroom, not far away. But, everytime she turns the light on the fire alarm goes off. HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-10, 09:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds to me like you have an aging/failing smoke alarm. As smokes get older they become more susceptible to false alarms from interference. It is likely that the smoke pulls power from that circuit, giving a direct path for interference. If that lamp had a CFL bulb or a digital/touch dimmer in it, that could definitely cause it. Check the manufacture date on the back of the smokes. If they are close to or more than 10 years old, they must be replaced anyway.

Old 11-26-10, 09:09 AM
$20 dollar solid state devices like smoke alarms and such go awry after years. Also batteries should be changed periodically if it contains such. If you have the know-how turn of the breaker that powers that outlet box (sometimes two seperate circuits may be in one outlet box so you might want to check and make sure (with a voltage probe perhaps) no voltage is present in said outlet box. Inspect all connections. Others will come along.

Old 11-26-10, 11:00 AM
You are both absolutely right about the smoke alarm being old and I have not changed the battery lately (just lazy!). And the lamp is one of those touch on/off lamps. I will definitely replace the smoke alarm and hope that it fixes the problem. I really appreciate your quick responses! Great people!